Culture > News

That’s A Wrap: Ohio Passes ‘Heartbeat Bill’ & First Image of Black Hole Is Captured

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Monday, April 8:

Tuesday, April 9:

• New York City declares a public health emergency due to an outbreak of measles. The city’s health department in requiring people living in certain zip codes where the disease is spreading to get vaccinated.
  • A local elected official in Louisiana stated that the fires that consumed three historically black churches were intentionally set.
  • Actress Felicity Huffman plans to plead guilty in the college admissions scandal.
  • 96 people have been infected with E. Coli across five states. 11 people have been hospitalized but no deaths have occurred.

Wednesday, April 10:

Thursday, April 11:

Friday, April 12:

Saturday, April 13:

Sunday, April 14:

A measles outbreak in Madagascar has killed more than 1,200 people. The outbreak is due to lack of resources, with only 58% of the population vaccinated against the disease.

The United Nations reports that 120 people have been killed since a Libyan military commander launched an assault on the capital 10 days ago.

Cassidy Hopson is a junior at the University of Florida majoring in journalism. Follow her on Twitter @CassidyHopson.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.