Culture > News

That’s A Wrap: Impeachment, Hacking and the Supreme Court

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Monday, September 30: 

– Continuing the impeachment inquiry from last week, the House Intelligence Committee subpoenaed records from Rudolph Giuliani, President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer. 

– Red meat is bad for you, right? New research says otherwise

Tuesday, October 1: 

– California Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill allowing college athletes to make money from advertisements using their name and image

– According to leaked audio from a meeting with Facebook employees, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said he is expecting antitrust legal action if Elizabeth Warren becomes president in 2020.

– Amber Guyger, the former Dallas police officer convicted of murder for fatally shooting her unarmed neighbor in his apartment, was sentenced to 10 years in prison.  The ruling led to an emotional moment in court where the victim’s brother forgave her and asked to hug Guyger.

Wednesday, October 2: 

– Outside the U.S., India achieved 100% household toilet coverage – up from 38% five years ago. 

– Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders was hospitalized for a heart procedure, causing his campaign to cancel upcoming events. 

Thursday, October 3: 

– MGM Resorts has agreed to pay up to $800 million in settlement for liability claims in the Las Vegas shooting.

Friday, October 4:

– Hackers targeted the email accounts of Trump’s re-election campaign, according to Microsoft. 

– The Supreme Court will hear an abortion case that challenges a Louisiana law requiring doctors performing abortions to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals. 

Saturday, October 5:

– More whistleblowers have come forward in the impeachment inquiry surrounding Trump.

Sunday, October 6: 

– The Supreme Court begins its new term this month and will take on cases involving LGBTQ rights, DACA, abortion and more. 

Stay tuned for next week’s week in review!

Jess is a senior journalism major with a Russian minor. She loves reading and learning foreign languages, and she has an oddly strong affection for grammar. Her goal is to work in the book publishing industry after graduation where she can work with the first love of her life: books. In her spare time, she’s usually having fun with her sisters from Theta Nu Xi or doing some arts and crafts. She is co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UFL for the 2019-2020 school year.