Culture > News

That’s A Wrap: Free College, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Area 51 & Climate Change Protests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Monday, September 16: 

– Cornell University is making medical school free for those who qualify for financial aid. 

– Working Families Party backed Elizabeth Warren in the same way they backed Bernie Sanders in 2016. 

Tuesday, September 17: 

– KFC is testing a new kind of sandwich: Chicken & Doughnuts. 

– California added Iowa to their travel ban over a refusal to fund gender transitions

– A Manhattan district attorney subpoenaed eight years of President Trump’s tax returns. 

– The Trump Administration ended California’s authority to set its own pollution rules. 

Wednesday, September 18: 

– The federal interest rate dropped by a quarter point.

– Sixteen-year-old Greta Thunberg testified before a congressional subcommittee urging leaders to listen to scientists about climate change.

– America’s abortion rate dropped to the lowest in history. 

Thursday, September 19: 

– Canada’s Prime Minister is under scrutiny after a photograph of him wearing brownface makeup from 2001 surfaced. 

– A blind singer with autism won ‘America’s Got Talent’

Friday, September 20:

– Climate change protests took place across the world as students walked out of class to urge leaders to address warming temperatures on Earth.

– The FBI is under fire for obtaining personal data from more personal companies than previously disclosed

Saturday, September 21:

– The Boeing 737 Max malfunctions caused two deadly crashes due to malfunctions, but unprepared pilots are also a problem.

Sunday, September 22: 

– Bernie Sanders called for eliminating America’s medical debt.

– No one actually stormed Area 51, but the event did draw Earthlings to Nevada.

Stay tuned for next week’s week in review! 

Jess is a senior journalism major with a Russian minor. She loves reading and learning foreign languages, and she has an oddly strong affection for grammar. Her goal is to work in the book publishing industry after graduation where she can work with the first love of her life: books. In her spare time, she’s usually having fun with her sisters from Theta Nu Xi or doing some arts and crafts. She is co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UFL for the 2019-2020 school year.