Recipe for a Tropical State of Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The excitement of a new semester has officially worn off, and now we are stuck in the pre-spring break lull where our schedules are full of tests and meetings and our daydreams are full of tropical paradises. To help ease the pain of waiting these next few weeks, try out these recipes and give yourself a mini-vacation in Gainesville.

Make piña colada cupcakes…
Although many collegiettes are watching their figures for bikini season, one cupcake won’t hurt and a little dose of sugar will brighten your day.

Mix a large can of crushed pineapple in juice with a box of yellow cake mix then pour it into your cupcake tin and cook following the baking instructions outlined on the box. To make the icing, mix a can of cream cheese icing, a fourth of a cup of sugar, and crushed pineapple (use another large can of crushed pineapple in juice, but this time drain the juice before mixing). You can add in coconut flakes if you choose. There are many variations of this recipe so test them out until you find your favorite!

..or just apiña colada.
If you aren’t feeling domestic (or simply don’t have the time to bake), break out your blender and make virgin piña coladas in your apartment using a mix from Publix or Wal-Mart. Nothing perks up a study session like a fruity drink!

Mix up a parfait.
Fruit parfaits are a great treat and are easy to make when you have a time crunch. You can either start by following the directions on the pudding mix package, or cheat and use premade pudding. Simply alternate layers of fresh fruit and pudding (beginning with a pudding layer) and enjoy!

Add a splash of lime juice.
Get a taste of the Keys by using Nellie and Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice. The company’s website has a large assortment of both sweet and savory recipes that are sure to put you in a beachy mood. Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Pie is a time-tested crowd pleaser and the only ingredients you need are three egg yolks, a can of sweetened condensed milk, graham cracker pie crust, whipped cream, and, of course, a bottle of Nellie and Joe’s Key West Lime Juice.

Try these recipes out to get rid of the pre-spring break blues. If these recipes don’t do the trick, don’t fret – your tropical vacation is only a couple of weeks away!

Don’t forget to check out the following website for even more great recipes that include yummy Key lime juice:
http://keylimejuice.com/index.htm