This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In April 2021, I received the Pfizer vaccination. Not only was I able to be a part of this new era in science, but I was able to do it from my home: The University of Florida.

Getting vaccinated on campus was convenient, and the process made me feel like I was a part of something great. However, I received a lot of criticism from people who did not know why I moved forward with getting vaccinated. So, amid the Pfizer pandemonium, it is imperative that everyone knows the ins and outs of getting vaccinated on campus!

What is the Pfizer vaccine?

The Pfizer vaccination has been authorized for emergency use by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization to prevent coronavirus. The vaccine is a messenger RNA vaccine (mRNA) that does not contain any live virus. According to the Pfizer website, the vaccination ingredients include potassium chloride, monobasic potassium, phosphate, sodium chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate, and sucrose (The Facts About Pfizer and Biontech’s COVID-19 Vaccine).

Messenger RNA

“Unlike a traditional vaccine that uses inactivated, dead, or portions of the actual virus to spur an immune response, mRNA delivers a message to your body’s cells that instruct the cells to generate the spike protein found on the surface of a coronavirus that initiates infection” (The Facts About Pfizer and Biontech’s COVID-19 Vaccine).

Why I decided to get vaccinated

With all the information presented before me, I knew I wanted to receive this vaccination. All COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective at preventing COVID-19 and have been tested through clinical trials. After being completely vaccinated, it is unlikely that I could infect others or become hospitalized if I had the coronavirus. If I can reduce the chances of getting myself or others sick, then I will.

I want to do whatever it takes to return to normalcy and protect the people around me.

My on-vampus vaccination experience

All students, faculty and staff who received vaccination through the university were asked to meet at the Champions Club, located in the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Aside from getting vaccinated, being in this space is another great perk during this experience. This area has some of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium’s most spectacular views, and people who receive the vaccine get to soak it all in before going on with their days.

Preceding the Champions Club is three levels of escalators. Going up, I felt nervous. This is entirely normal before enduring a new experience.

I was surprised at how organized everything was. The Club was met with rows of patients, with a doctor awaiting at each peak for their patient to move forward and receive their vaccination.

The assistants were sweet and incredibly helpful throughout the process. The doctors were just as pleasant.

The Pfizer shot sensation was comparable to a flu shot, and my arm was only sore for the following two days. The day following my shot, I also felt a little tired. Aside from those effects, I experienced no other symptoms.

Would I recommend getting vaccinated?

A million times, yes.

If my spiel about the effectiveness and trials was not enough, please check out the CDC website.

Hopefully, I could ease your mind and make you feel comfortable enough to get the Pfizer vaccination!

Keila is a third-year Journalism student at the University of Florida. She was born and raised in Orlando, Florida. As a true Florida native, Keila is obsessed with all things Disney. She loves reading, writing, film, glitter, the color pink, and the oxford comma (scary, we know). Keila hopes to have a career central to writing and editing.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.