Rachel Hart wins Miss UF title

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Despite a power outage at the ceremony, when Rachel Hart was crowned Miss UF, she said it felt like a dream come true.

“I have bled orange and blue my whole life because both my parents graduated from here,” Hart said. “I’ve always dreamt of not only attending the University of Florida, but also representing it.”

Hart is a 19-year-old advertising and business freshman, and she’s no stranger to the pageant world.

In 2011, she competed in her high school pageant, Miss Stanton, and won. From there, she competed against other high school pageant winners and, thus, was introduced to the Miss Florida Organization.

In July 2012, she competed in the Miss Florida pageant. As one of the youngest contestants, she earned a spot as a semi-finalist.

“Now that I am Miss University of Florida,” Hart said, “I will once again compete in Miss Florida this coming summer.”

For Hart, the show on campus went without a hitch. Though the lights cut out unexpectedly and the winners were announced in the lobby of the Phillips Center, Hart said she was proud of her outfits and performances.

For the swimwear portion, she wore a white swimsuit with gold hardware by Kandice Pelletier. Her evening gown was a black velvet dress by Shawn Yearick. It featured a high slit on the right leg and a chiffon piece that flowed when she took her walk.

For the talent portion, Hart played a piano piece entitled “Beethoven with a Twist.” She arranged the piece from a Beethoven Sonata and Jerry Lee Lewis riffs to showcase her love of both classical and jazz piano.

She said the piece was so much fun to perform and showed her personality.

For the fitness portion, Hart said confidence is key.

“You have to practice a little routine so you know what you’re doing onstage,” Hart said. “But the only way to have a killer fitness routine is to look and feel confident.”

Hart is a member of the University of Florida Honors College. She is also involved in Motiv8 – a mentoring program for middle-schoolers in Alachua County – Campus Diplomats, the Retail Society, Ad Society and Zeta Tau Alpha.

Within her sorority, she is the banner chairman and on the recruitment board for Fall 2013.

She is also in the process of establishing a university-endorsed, on-campus club and personal organization called ‘Helping the Homeless.’

“Actively seek out ways to become involved in areas of your life that you love,” Hart said. “Whether that is socially, academically or service-oriented, there are a myriad of opportunities awaiting you at UF.”

Hart said competing in the Miss UF pageant showed her the benefit of taking risks.

“As a freshman this pageant seemed a little daunting,” she said. “But once I set my mind to competing I put my whole heart into preparing for the pageant and growing as a young woman.

“The take away is so much more than just a crown,” she continued. “It is confidence in yourself for working towards a goal, humility from all the love and support you receive throughout the process, and a love of the challenge of pushing yourself to reach new heights.”

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.