Quotes n’ Notes: Ellen DeGeneres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

“Find out who you are and be that person. That’s what your soul was put on this earth to be.
Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come.”
-Ellen DeGeneres

The biggest struggle we face every day is within ourselves. We question why we aren’t prettier, smarter, or more popular… The list is never-ending. Our minds constantly swirl with questions regarding why we are not certain things, and it is not often we are able to quiet the noise and just be at peace with who we are.  

The reality that we must face today is that the world is extremely flawed. For example, we put celebrities on a pedestal because of the perfection we think we see in them, and we become envious of them. But here is the truth: they are not perfect, nor can they be.  No matter what we think we see from the outside, being on the inside allows us to see what is real, which is the core of who people truly are. Each human is flawed, and our flaws are what make us feel down on ourselves.

This is not how our flaws should impact us, though. Given that no one person is more imperfect than another, the playing field of humanity is level. We view our flaws as our downfalls when we should view them as what set us apart from our peers. Flaws are what make us stronger, because despite how we feel about them, we overcome them every day, and we exceed the limitations we think we have without even realizing it.

Instead of dwelling on who we are not, we should relish in who we are. Each and every person has something to offer the world — a voice that deserves to be a heard and a message that deserves to be shared. It is never easy to see ourselves in the way those that we love see us, but we have to believe in the magic inside ourselves. Ellen couldn’t be more correct; there is a person that each and every one of us is meant to be, and we need to embrace that person in order to live an honest and happy life.

Searching for who you are is never an easy task, but once you find it, you owe it to yourself to be brave enough to be that person.
Be bold. Be inspiring. Be you.

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.