Wellness

Protecting Yourself on Campus: Safety and Resources

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

*Trigger warning: Mentions of rape, assault*

Like many other students, I am back on campus for the first time in almost two years. My feelings of excitement returning to a somewhat normal lifestyle were met with a harsh awakening when I received an email Sept. 10 titled “timely warning” that listed crimes of rape, aggravated assault and robbery, which occurred close to campus. After taking classes remotely for two semesters, I had the luxury of forgetting how unsafe returning to campus can be.

Unfortunately, incidents like these have become normalized in today’s society and even expected by most college women. It’s taxing on our mental health to constantly worry if we’ll make it home safe. While it’s unfair for us to have to worry about protecting ourselves when we’re doing something as simple as going for a jog or returning home at night, safety needs to always be at the back of our minds. 

Your mental and physical health should always be your top priority. When walking anywhere– especially at night–always have your phone handy. In addition to calling 911, here are some resources to contact if you’re ever in danger:

UF Police Department

(352) 955-1818

According to their homepage, UFPD is composed of 92 law enforcement officers and 49 civilian employees who have all been trained and Florida certified. They are available 24 hours a day if you’re ever in an unsafe situation and provide the same services as any other law enforcement officer, which include making arrests and conducting thorough investigations.

UFPD also offers classes on self-defense training to help protect yourself in similar situations.

UF Counseling and Wellness Center (mental health clinic)

(352) 392-1575

UF’s Counseling and Wellness Center offers 24/7 crisis support through their Crisis and Emergency Resource Center (CERC). They also have group therapy sessions, brief consultations and self-assessments you can take to give them, and yourself, a better look at your current mental health. They even provide programs through their Alcohol and Other Drugs Services page, as well as couples counseling and psychiatry.

Sponsored by UF’s student government, our SNAP service, which can be reached at (352) 392-SNAP, will give you free escorts home if you ever feel unsafe walking alone on campus. It was established in 1976 to ensure on-campus safety, primarily at nighttime. During the fall and spring semesters, they’re available between 6 p.m. and 3 a.m.

It’s also important to arm yourself whenever you’re walking around at night. Companies like SABRE make pepper spray gel you can use against an attacker without the risk of spray blowing back at you. Pocket knives, alarms and whistles also come in miniature sizes that can be hidden and kept with you at all times.

While it’s exciting to have life on campus return to normal, we need to remember to look out for both our physical and mental health. 

I'm a journalism major with a minor in public leadership. In my free time, I like reading, thrifting and watching indie films. My hobbies include eating goldfish and taking long naps.