This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

http://pinterest.com/pin/133278470192810818/

Lately, I’ve been seeing these watermelon carvings all over Pinterest. Having one of these at a party would definitely be a crowd pleaser, but the skill level it would take to master seems like it would be through the roof. I mean, I have a hard enough time carving a pumpkin!

Step 1: I started with cutting the watermelon in half then hollowing out both sides. So time consuming! I would much rather cut some triangle wedges and stick em’ on a plate!

Step 2: Cut the edge of one of the halves to make the shell smaller. I used the excess to make the four arms and head. This step wasn’t difficult…but it gets sticky. Gross.

Step 3: Add some details to the turtle’s limbs. I just carved some little claws for each of his hands, and rounded off his head. Wait… How the heck are we supposed to attach these to the shell? Glue?! Some how I don’t think Elmer’s can hold this together…

Step 4: Take a spoon and try to use the tip to carve in the turtle’s shell pattern. The photo on Pinterest has perfect hexagons. But watermelons are slippery, y’all! This step was the most difficult… so if you think this pin is for you, good luck because this step is more difficult than it looks!

Finished product: Well, here he is. A little pathetic, eh? I drew on some eyes so he didn’t look like a complete hot mess. In comparison to the original pin, my version is definitely not as impressive.

Rating: 2 pins  
Why? This carving is kinda cute, but it’s a complete hassle. Any time someone wants some fruit, they will have to take off the lid, a head, and four legs. There was no way for me to attach the legs, so they all balance from the weight of the shell. Chances are the legs will end up on the floor or in the trashcan at your party by accident. Also, if you attempt this pin, expect a mess because my kitchen is soaked! Take it from me; this pin is not worth it. Even though it may not be as exciting, stick to a generic fruit platter instead.

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.