This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Lately, the “Instagram” and trendy style has become the new “Tumblr girl/boy.” Everyone’s beginning to dress exactly alike because of certain items trending. It’s time to stop thinking that in order to be fashionable, you need to look like the girls you follow or like the mannequins in the store, you have to develop your own personal style.

Personal style has gotten lost in the past few years because most people dress up like social media stars and celebrities to get a lot of likes. A clear definition of a personal style is simply, what do you think looks good for you to wear regardless of trends or opinions of others. If reading that made you uncomfortable because you don’t know what you like, don’t fret. Here are some questions to get to know yourself and to discover and embrace your personal sense of style.

Find colors that look good on you

Colors do a lot to define your style. Whether you think you’re edgy, girly or sporty, your color palette plays a huge part in deciding what you wear. Figure out what colors not only highlight the best of the outside but define your inner feelings as well.

Decide what you want your clothes to tell people

Your style can be very telling of who you are. If you like things loose-fitting, it can mean yourself and your fashion is more relaxed; if it’s the opposite, it can mean you’re very purposeful in your approach.

Whose closet do you wish you could steal?

Sure, there are many people to admire when it comes to fashion. Sometimes, it’s just about the attitude they bring with their style, but other times it’s because that person wears things you wish you had. If that’s the case, that means you have a style inspiration and someone you want your personal style to reflect.

Channel your personality

It’s easy to dress out of your comfort zone to try and appear cooler or flashier than you are on the inside. Don’t go too far and compromise the look for your character because if it’s not really something you’d wear normally, everyone will notice.

Try a bunch of different things

The easiest way to tell someone who you are and what you like is to figure out what you don’t. Just go into a store and try on different things that you normally wouldn’t. If you like it (even if it feels weird at first!), then it may be another layer to your style and if you hate them you know what look isn’t for you.

The best advice is to remember that a personal style is just that — personal. You can be influenced by a thousand different things, but it should always look and feel unique to you.

Tranelle Maner is a senior at the University of Florida. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in film and media studies. Her business aspirations include but are not limited to becoming Editor-in-Chief of a magazine as well as becoming a social media strategist for a large brand or company. She has a passion for podcasts, watching too many cooking videos and scrolling through social media. In her free time she enjoys writing different reaction and opinion articles as well as trying new recipes.