This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For many students at the University of Florida, Gainesville is what they consider home for four years. Due to the university’s overarching presence within the city, students often think that the only thing the city offers is found within the swamp’s limits. Many students fail to realize the rich cultural history that Gainesville holds and the vibrant community that has been calling the city home for centuries. For the few that decide to brush up on the city’s history, it may be easy to overlook the legacies and contributions of the Black community in creating the Gainesville we all have come to love. Follow along to get a bite-sized look at the Black history of the city and how it has evolved. 

Post-Civil War

It’s a little-known fact that the Black community was huge in Gainesville during a brief period of its history. In the months following the Civil War, many African Americans decided to settle down in Gainesville and establish the city as it was officially being reincorporated. During this period, the amount of African-American citizens was far more significant than white citizens, and thus, Gainesville became a thriving, mainly Black community. During this time, Black citizens began to hold office in various local and state offices.

One of the most memorable members of the community was Josiah T. Walls. Although he was not originally from the city, he moved to Gainesville during the bustling period of Reconstruction. Walls was involved in many aspects of the town, including news, education, law and business. Despite dabbling in the aforementioned fields, Walls was incredibly drawn to politics, and this is where his legacy can best be seen. He served as the mayor, county commissioner, school board member and state senator. Most notably, he was the first Black congressman in Florida. Through these positions, he championed Black citizens’ rights and the need for equality in various fields of life. 

Pleasant Street Historic District

Following this period, the Pleasant Street Historic District was founded by Black citizens looking for economic independence and a cultural hub within the city. It was the first Black residential area within Gainesville, and it quickly became the center for the thriving community. The district is decorated by late nineteenth and early twentieth-century Southern architecture, including vernacular houses, Bungalows and Victorian styled buildings, which housed businesses, churches and homes. 

The Dunbar Hotel is one of the most recognizable locations within the Pleasant Street Historic District. Established in the late 1930s, it was the only hotel to serve Black residents up until desegregation. Since many Black entertainers passed through the “Chitlin Circuit” to play within Gainesville, the hotel welcomed countless famous Black entertainers and entrepreneurs. Some of the most notable names that have stopped by include B.B King, Ella Fitzgerald, and Duke Ellington. These big names would entertain Gainesville residents at the Cotton Club, a local venue for dancing and celebration nights. Following a couple of decades of deterioration, the Dunbar Hotel was restored in 1995. It has since been used as a home for teen mothers and homeless people seeking refuge. 

Lincoln High 

Established in 1923, Lincoln High School has become a landmark for local Black history and the struggles the community has faced. Built during the segregation era, the school served and quickly became the center of the Black community. According to the history of Lincoln High, a 1964 graduate described the school as “our place in the community; it all happened there.” The school featured a top-rated football team, marching band and faculty. The most recognizable staff member was the principal, A. Quinn Jones, who consistently championed the school’s funding and recognition. Through Jones’s efforts, he was able to expand the highschool’s grade levels up to the twelfth grade, so students could graduate with a degree and pursue a college education. He was also able to make Lincoln High the second fully accredited African American high school in Florida. 

Despite these successes, it was a constant uphill battle for the students, faculty, and family of Lincoln High. Despite being inaugurated as the best Black school in Florida, which equaled the new high school for white peers, there were many obstacles for Lincoln High due to the time’s racist policies. Black faculty members were paid a portion of their white counterparts, and Jones could not attend white principal’s meetings. Faculty often provided food, shelter and clothing for needy students and provided books, volunteer work and resources for the school itself. The community quickly pitched in to offer monetary contributions to student programs and events since this was difficult to receive from the state or school board.

During the time of desegregation, the school was forced to reintegrate or close, which led to Lincoln High’s closure in 1970. It was a painful experience for many of the students, which were forced to transfer and lost what they once called home. 

Institute of Black Culture

One of the most recent staples of local Black history is the Institute of Black Culture at UF.  Following the rejection of the Black Student Union’s demands to improve the campus climate for Black students, a series of demonstrations and protests took place. This all culminated on April 15, 1971, on what has become known as “Black Thursday,” in which 67 students were arrested and suspended for occupying then-president Stephen O Connell’s office. After amnesties for the students were denied by the university, various protests ensued, which included over 100 students withdrawing from UF.

The university gave way to the continuous pressure and organization from Black students, and the IBC was founded in 1972. The institute now stands tall next to the Institute of Latinx Culture on University Avenue, only a short walk from campus. The IBC serves as a space to cultivate, preserve and highlight Black culture, experiences, history and scholarship. 

While this is by all means just a brief account of the extensive Black history of Gainesville, I encourage looking at resources to learn more about the area. The Samuel Proctor Oral History Program has excellent resources in their African American History Project, which includes oral history interviews with prominent community members. While it may require some digging and exploring, it’s essential to learn about the histories of the spaces we take up and consider second homes.

Arlette is a third year Journalism major and Latin American Studies minor at the University of Florida. Born and raised in Miami, they love anything that connects them to nature and sunshine. Whenever they aren't reading or writing, they can be found gardening, baking, crafting, or analyzing psychological thrillers. Passionate about all things people centered, they hope to pursue a career that allows them to stay close and accountable to their community.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.