Page Turners: Our Picks for Fall Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Can we all agree that it’s so awesome to not have classes on Fridays? You can’t fool us – you’re not going to spend this time studying. But you can have fun while being productive.

One word: books. More specifically, books that you bring home with you to Thanksgiving or read in the car while you’re traveling over one of these glorious three-day weekends.

Not textbooks, but books you like. For example, my favorite genre is chick lit because I read a lot of heavy material in school. When I read for pleasure, I’m looking for a whirlwind romance to get swept into, not something with a complicated plot.

So open up your Amazon account and make some space in your purse for one of our awesome recommendations:

1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.This adorable novel follows an American girl who gets transferred to a boarding school in Paris. It’s rainy, she doesn’t know French and she has a miserable time … until she meets Etienne St. Clair, possibly the most perfect guy ever written in fiction (we like to envision him as Chace Crawford). The book will take you on an emotional rollercoaster, teach you a little about France and make you fall in love with Etienne as Anna does. Plus, if you like it, Perkins just released her second book – Lola and the Boy Next Door!
  2. Where She Went by Gayle Forman. This sequel to If I Stay functions well as a stand-alone novel, too. It tells Mia’s story of getting into a near-fatal car crash and losing everything from a fresh perspective – her ex-boyfriend Adam’s. Now a famous musician, he can’t stop obsessing about her. This book combines grief, regret and love in a weird way that makes everything work out. Not sure about it? Read an excerpt here. (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/penguin2011/WSWexcerpt._V169141903_.pdf)
  3. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. If you haven’t heard about these books, you’ve been in a pop culture cave. Currently being adapted into a movie featuring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, this trilogy is the ideal way to escape crazy relatives at Thanksgiving dinner. Get away from your world by entering that of Katniss: one in which the government forces children to fight to the death for food. It’s got everything a reader wants: love, adventure and great quotes to post on your Facebook. Once you finish, lend the books to your little brother – he’ll like them, too! Read here for an excerpt. (http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/top_right/2011/07/thanks_for_the_knife.html)
  4. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Missing Twilight? This New York Times bestseller has all the elements you’re craving – including werewolves. The wolves in this book aren’t fighting vampires, though… they’re falling in love with humans like Grace, a quiet girl from a messed-up family. Sam’s situation breaks our hearts, but Grace loves him anyway. Their (albeit strange) relationship is what initially interested us in the series, but the addition of new characters kept us buying the books. Oh, did we mention there’s two follow-up novels? What are you waiting for?
  5. Let it Snow by Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson and John Green. This book is currently less than $2 on Amazon, so why not pick it up? Gear up for the holiday season by reading these three short stories about Christmas. Characters include a Waffle House employee, a team of perky cheerleaders and a guy covered in tin foil. Each story connects to the others in a clever way. Cheap, lighthearted and well-written, this book will be a cute distraction from the fact that we have finals in three weeks.

Grab a book, your earbuds and a comfy chair – November is about reading. Rock on, collegiettes!