An Open Letter to My Hometown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Dear Weston,

Hey, remember me? I know, it’s crazy to think that I haven’t permanently lived in you for over two years now, but I will never forget you. You’ll always have a place in my heart because, after all, you are the place where I lived from birth to 18. Inevitably, you’ve had a pretty big role in shaping who I am.

Like any town, you are far from perfect. There is a connotation of Weston that people are materialistic, and it’s hard to be yourself without judgment. I definitely had my share of moments where I struggled to find true friends that accepted me for exactly who I am. I felt the pressure to keep up with the trends, and my insecurity grew each time I felt excluded or not cool enough. Looking back, it all seems so silly, but these were all things that really affected me at the time. While I could have done without this sadness, these experiences showed me the meaning of true friendship and taught me how to deal with difficult situations like confronting your best friend. None of it was easy, but it made me strong.

Another connotation you have is that your bubble shields your residents from reality, and that growing up in Weston leaves you unprepared to enter the real world. With gated communities and perfectly landscaped shopping centers covering almost the whole town, there was little room for “delinquent” activity that many teens face. There were also far too many times that I complained that there was nothing to do. After all, how many times can you eat Panera and go to the movies?

While these general accusations against you can’t be completely refuted, I wouldn’t agree with the statement that I left home unprepared. I entered college feeling confident that I had a strong moral compass and all the knowledge that I would need to make friends, succeed in my classes and thrive at UF.

On top of the preparedness factor, I can never thank you enough for providing me with a safe and secure environment to grow up in. I’ll always remember my first outing with no parents to Weston 8 Cinema and later taking many, many walks with friends to Weston Commons. In retrospect, it really worked out well that as preteens we got to feel like we were mature and independent while only being a stone’s throw from home.

Weston, I’m thankful for you for all that you have given me. You gave me good schools and good teachers who instilled in me a passion for learning and achieving greatness. You gave me a happy home that is strong and gave me an escape from whatever battles I faced at school or in life. You gave me my temple where I attended Hebrew school, had my bat mitzvah and was molded into a Jewish young adult (ok, my temple wasn’t actually in Weston, but close enough). You gave me the YMCA where I got my first gym membership and grew an appreciation for the calming and rejuvenating power of yoga. Overall, you gave me a safe community to play and learn and grow into the person I am today. And for that, I am forever grateful.

Love always,

Lauren

Photo courtesy of the author’s mom, Michelle Glater.

Just a Soflo girl who loves Chipotle and dreams of life in The Big Apple