Nike Free Run: Behind The Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s no secret that UF students have a soft spot for apparel that is bright and bold, so obviously we would be drawn to the Nike Free Run running shoe. But with so many options, how are collegiettes to select the perfect color combination? And how can these shoes be incorporated into outfits we already own?

The Nike designers have done an excellent job of creating shoes with fabulous colors – the hardest problem is determining which pair to get! There are the traditional one-color Nike Frees that you know will go with the clothes in your closet, but life is always about taking risks, so consider branching out trying one of the most eye-catching combinations. There are choices like the Bright Mango/Action Red or the cotton candy-inspired Bright Turquoise/White/Pink. If you are looking online, make sure to check several websites, as some retailers have more rare combinations available for purchase than others.

You might be a bit apprehensive about buying such bold shoes and wondering if they will match anything you own, but relax, they are gym shoes! Although Nike Free Runs can be easily transitioned into less casual outfits, essentially they are just sneakers and everything does not have to match perfectly at the gym. Pair the Nike Free Run with workout capri pants or yoga pants. In regards to wearing them with normal attire, think about pairing them with cute shorts when you run errands. This way you are still stylish, but not in pain by the time you hit the last store on your list.

After looking through all the available color combinations, if you are unable to pick just one or if nothing seems to be quite right, don’t fret – check out Nike ID and build your own pair. From shoelaces to the color of the Nike swoosh, you are in total control of what your shoes look like. The best part is that you can personalize each shoe with your initials, making them completely unique. This way no one will ever be able to “forget” she has your shoes or get them confused with another similar pair.

In 2012, the most popular Nike Free Run models on campus are the Free 3.0 and the Free +2. The shoes in the Nike Free collection are numbered based on a scale of 0 to 10, basically barefoot to the cushioning of normal running shoes. The Free +2 is a blend of the Free 5.0 and the Free 3.0 models. These shoes are minimalists and are like wearing slippers in public while still looking socially acceptable. From Southwest Rec to class, you are sure to get plenty of use out of your Nike Free Run, so make sure to stock up before they sell out!

Check out these links:
http://nikeid.nike.com/nikeid/index.jsp
http://www.zappos.com/nike-free-run-2-tide-pool-blue-mega-blue-pure-platinum
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/nike-free-run-2-running-shoe-women/3309406?origin=related-3309406-0-0-1-1