New Year, New Trend: The New “Midriff”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

“Ribdriff.”

You might be wondering what the heck that even is. Well, it’s not quite midriff… I guess you could say it’s the area above your midriff.  The Ribdriff. You know, where your ribs are? I suppose the best way to describe ribdriff is to simply show you some examples.

These models are rocking the bare ribdriff. This look has been hitting the runways of some of the top designers, and I don’t know about you, but I certainly see why. This look gives girls a classy way to show some skin. Paired with a maxi skirt, bralettes and crop tops exposing bare ribdriff can be elegant. Worn with a pair of high-waisted shorts, the look can be casually trendy. There are plenty of ways to rock this kind of ensemble. Cohosts of E!’s Fashion Police, Kelly Osbourne and George Kotsiopoulos, sure knew what they were talking about when they predicted bare ribdriff to be one of the top trends of 2013.

As a college student, I definitely love this look. In fact, this is my favorite trend to wear right now.

(Lisa Greenberg is on the left.)

Bare ribdriff can be achieved in numerous ways. In this picture above, I paired a high-waisted high-low skirt with a lace bandeau (left). Because only a small amount of skin is showing, this look is classy with a bit of an edge to it.

Bare ribdriff can also be seen in the form of cut-out dresses. My friend is rocking one of those dresses in the picture above. The small cut outs of ribdriff in this dress are very sexy, but because only a little skin is showing, the outfit is still elegant and appropriate.

These collegiettes are both rocking the bare ribdriff, too. Ironically, the girl on the left is wearing the same style dress as my friend in the other picture. See! I told you it was trendy! The girl on the right completed her outfit with a high-low skirt.

Nicole Ross, a UF nursing junior, said she’s digging the new trend.

“I love the bare ribdriff trend because it’s easy to wear,” she said. “I always see the bralette tops and bandeaus in different colors, so it’s easy to find one that goes with anything. Also, Florida is so hot all of the time, so it’s a very comfortable look, too.”

Meredith Allen, a UF nutrition science sophomore, said she liked the trend to a certain extent.

“I don’t like it when it shows too much skin,” she said. “It has to be more than a bra!”

Are you convinced? Do you like the bare ribdriff look as much as I do? If so, you can always find bralettes and crops at places like Forever 21, PacSun, Cotton On, and Victoria’s Secret. Local boutiques and shops like Wolfgang and Urban Thread sell them, too. Once you’ve found your perfect crop, throw on a high-low skirt or a pair of shorts, and you’re ready for whatever 2013 brings!

Photo Credit: http://sinfulwishes.com/?tag=ribdrift

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.