burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Year, New Trend: Edgy Meets Feminine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Leather. 

You may think of it as more of a fall or winter fabric, but this year, it’s hitting the spring season in full force; however, this season, in a delicate style.

Source: www.eonline.com

The delicate lace on the bottom of this dress provides a balance to the harsh leather and also makes the ensemble more “spring appropriate.” Kelly Osbourne and George Kotsiopoulos definitely knew what they were talking about when they said leather would be a hit this spring on the E! News special. Leather has been seen all over the runways at Chanel, Mulberry, and Jason Wu. I, for one, could not be happier that leather is trending this season.

Leather is often times seen as “scandalous” or “sexy,” which it definitely can be. However, you can rock this trend and still keep it classy. Usually, when you think of leather fashion, a leather jacket comes to mind. But this fabric has become so much more than that.

Source: www.forever21.com

See, leather isn’t just for bikers. Here are a few different ways leather can be worn. Notice that none of these leather pieces are over the top. Each piece is feminine, but edgy. There’s no reason to be afraid of leather! Treat it just like any other fabric you’d easily wear – after all, it is super trendy this season!

I’ve found other collegiettes who love to rock leather, too, just in case my personal opinions aren’t convincing enough.

Source: Karina Cuevas (Instagram: @yeahimkarina)

Karina Cuevas, third from the left, is pictured above with a group of her friends. Each girl is wearing leather. As you can see, the girl on the left is workin’ it in a pair of leather pants. The collegiette second from the left is wearing a tight leather mini skirt. This look is more bold and sexy. Cuevas and the girl on the right are both wearing A-line leather skirts, which give off a flirtier vibe.

Cuevas, a sophomore Journalism major, said she’s loving leather this season.

“It’s easy and perfect for day or night,” she said. “It adds a little edge to any outfit.”

And Cuevas could not be more right. If you’re looking for a way to spice up a pair of jeans, a skirt to go with that super feminine top, or even an edgy dress, hit up your local mall or favorite online stores because this trend isn’t going anywhere any time soon!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.