This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

‘Tis the season for jamming out.

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday: it’s extremely significant to my Christian faith, after all. This holiday also brings back so many feelings of nostalgia with my family and what can only be described as Christmas cheer! Despite this cheer, the holidays aren’t always so picture-perfect: loved ones might not be around to celebrate the season with, or you might be feeling lonely because, let’s face it, most of the Christmas music genre is about pining after a certain person underneath a pine of their own. Seasonal depression also affects up to three percent of the United States population. Although it is regarded as “the most wonderful time of the year,” this is unfortunately not the case for some.

Nevertheless, stars like Mariah Carey and Michael Bublé have been defrosting all year to now claim their status as Christmas music royalty once more, but you don’t want their songs to get old and be the only ones you play over and over. “All I Want for Christmas Is You” can only be played so many times. Therefore, I’ve discovered eight new songs/covers that will give variety to your Christmas playlist, no matter how you’re feeling this December.

For Those Missing Family This Holiday Season

Anyone else think The Vamps were a fever dream produced by the 2010s? They’re here to prove people like me wrong with “Seat at the Table,” where the group sings a touching piece on leaving a spot open at the dinner table in memory of those who are no longer with us. Lead vocalist Brad Simpson shared that in his house, there was always time set aside to remember people who had passed. “It sounds really sad in principle, but it’s actually a written way of remembering them and the joyous times you had together,” Simpson said in this interview.

Another one that can tug on your heartstrings is “The Greatest Gift” by Andrea Bocelli. It’s a beautiful song performed by more than one Bocelli generation with Italian tenor Andrea at the helm and his children, Matteo and Virginia, performing with him. The Bocellis share that the greatest gift of Christmas is love. The one string of lyrics that really got me was “Remember those we love no longer here. Together take a moment and be grateful, for the joy, for the tears.” So many look forward to visiting family members during the holidays, and those who cannot often get left out of the music scene. The Bocellis and The Vamps made sure to gift them with ballads they could relate to.

For Those Remembering the Reason for the Season

Pentatonix is well known for their a cappella holiday hits such as “Mary, Did you Know?” and “White Winter Hymnal,” but their new song takes an inspirational route in the album Holidays around the World. The holidays are a time for giving, and Pentatonix wants its listeners to do just that by giving prayers for this world, as their song is aptly titled. “Prayers for this World” is the a cappella group’s outcry for its listeners to do their part this holiday season and pray for those who are suffering and for a better world in general. “We gotta get us some love and light so love can light the way,” Kirstin Maldonado sings while accompanied by the music made by the other four members of the group. Ultimately, each one of us can contribute to this vision of adding more “love and light” to this Earth.

With turkey day already behind us, “Thanks Giver” doesn’t sound like the type of song to be played a month after the iconic feast. But David Crowder reminds us that being thankful isn’t a seasonal feeling: it should continue all year round and can start this Christmas season. “Thanks Giver” is a song about recognizing what the Lord has blessed us with and not taking small moments for granted, as Crowder sings in the lyric, “You make joy out of simple and ordinary things.” Recognizing that is key to celebrating Christ’s birth to its fullest potential.

For Those Wishing for a Special Someone to Spend Christmas With

This girl might be “on fire” but Alicia Keys is cooling down with us for the winter months with her new album, “December Back 2 June.” This slow version of the classic “Santa Baby” belongs in fancy restaurants on Christmas Eve dinner, with the elegant piano and all. Can’t you picture the white tablecloths and steak dinners it will be paired with? Spending the holidays with your significant other (whether in dreams or reality) can also be spiced up by a new cover from The Backstreet Boys. The boys have clearly still got it from when they debuted in the ‘90s. “Last Christmas” is an upbeat take on the classic and makes you want to have somebody to sing it with. Adorn that earworm with a Santa hat and call it a day. You’ll thank me later!

For Those Looking for a Good Laugh

Feeling like you’re in need of a laugh that will make you shake “like a bowl full of jelly?” Apple TV+ delivers on that note with the anticipated musical comedy, “Spirited.” Led by a stellar cast including Ryan Reynolds, Will Ferrell and Octavia Spencer, this modern take on A Christmas Carol is sure to lift your spirits with the help of the Christmas spirit protagonists. The style of the songs might be recognizable to avid musical fans because the composing and songwriting duo, Benji Pasek and Justin Paul, worked on “Spirited.” Their past work includes “The Greatest Showman” and “La La Land.” 

“Spirited” is a humorous movie as a whole, but the most amusing song in my opinion has to be “Good Afternoon.” I don’t want to spoil the movie with the context of the song because “Spirited” is still new, so I’ll just say you will appreciate the number more and understand the full meaning of the song’s titular phrase after watching the musical. If you want to give it a listen anyway, here’s the link. I hope you love Ryan Reynold’s attempt at a British accent as much as I do. Another hit from the movie is “Bringin’ Back Christmas,” where we are introduced to Ryan Reynold’s character. Complete with TikTok-worthy outfit transitions, Reynolds steals the show and tells his listeners how they can manipulate buyers into purchasing authentic Christmas trees. It was funny to see how much his audience of marketers got into his song and how he preached a message about hate under the guise of a fun song. 

Whatever mood you’re in this December, artists from all genres will be producing hit after hit to keep up, so you’re in luck. We’ll have to see if these up-and-coming singles stand the test of time and join the ranks of the Christmas classics we all know and love. 

At the time that these articles were written, Brooke was a second-year journalism major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami and is a triplet! Brooke enjoys reading fiction, watching Marvel and DC movies/shows, growing in her Christian faith and spending time with friends and family. She hopes to apply her passions for writing and editing in her future career.