My Top Five Places In Greece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Spring semester is finally here and already all I can think about is summer vacation. Those wonderful few months when you don’t have to worry about anything other than lying back and relaxing. What I love most about summer is being able to travel with friends and family. I am blessed to say that I have been to many countries around the globe, but my favorite place by far is Greece. If you want to be surrounded by the gorgeous Mediterranean Sea, overlapping mountains and ancient ruins, Greece should be your next destination! Greece is very close to my heart since both of my parents were born and raised in Greece. So here are my top five places you absolutely must visit while in Greece.

1. The Parthenon

If you’re obsessed with the tales of powerful Greek gods, you will love visiting the Parthenon. This breathtaking temple was made for Athena, goddess of wisdom and patron goddess of Athens. This wonder of the world is located on the hills of Acropolis, and as you reach the top of the mountain you will be blown away by the view of all of Athens, the largest city in Greece. If you want to know more about the Greek gods and goddesses, you should check out the Acropolis Museum which is an archeological museum that focuses on the findings of Acropolis. This museum is unique because it has a glass floor that allows people to look below to see the ruins of ancient Athens. 2. Oia, Santorini

Oia is a small town located in one of the most famous islands in Greece, Santorini. This village is very scenic due to its beautiful white houses and small walkways. If you’re lucky you might even comes across a donkey. I think every little girl had a dream of coming to Santorini and riding a donkey up to the village after watching The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I can say that I have checked donkey riding off my bucket list, but it was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. The donkeys in Oia are notorious for racing as fast as they can up the mountain. No matter how much you pulled on the reins and shouted, the donkeys would not stop running until they reached the town. Despite my near death experience, Santorini was everything I imagined it would be. Also, it is famous around the world for its beautiful sunsets.

3. Zakynthos Beach – The Shipwreck Beach

By far the most magical beach I have ever laid on. The turquoise water is crystal clear–you don’t even need goggles to see the bottom of the sea floor. This beach is wonderful to lay on because it has soft white sand, which is unique in Greece because most beaches are covered with rocks. Nothing feels better than jumping into the ice cold water after exploring on a hot day. You can also have fun in the water by snorkeling with the sea turtles and other wildlife sea creatures that surround the beach.

4. La Grotta in Corfu

The perfect place to grab a drink while relaxing by the water! La Grotta was one of my favorite places in Corfu because it is a bar that’s embedded into a cliff. Right below the cliff is a beautiful blue lagoon where you can enjoy a nice swim and explore some underwater caves. If you happen to be a daredevil then you will definitely enjoy cliff diving. Next to the bar there are some massive rocks that can help you scale your way up to the side of the mountain. The lagoon is deep enough for you to have a safe landing as you dive down below. La Grotta is the perfect place to enjoy a nice drink with friends, swim in the caves, and jam out to some live music.

5. Mykonos

This famous iconic island is the perfect place if you’re looking for great nightlife and amazing landmarks such as Little Venice and the windmills overlooking Mykonos town. I love this town because it’s filled with never ending walkways of little stores where you can get great finds such as Greek jewelry and other accessories. Mykonos is known to be “the island of the winds,” so no matter how hot it is outside, it’s not so bad thanks to the summer breeze. Mykonos will make you feel right at home because the people of the town are very friendly and always willing to help others.

Greece is a wonderful place to travel because it has so many unforgettable destinations for everyone to enjoy. I highly recommend putting Greece on your bucket list and one of the next places you must visit during the summer.

Photo Credits: Vanessa Blankenship