In My Skin: An Exploration on What Marks 3 UF Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We all have things that mark us — a story we wear on our bodies every day that others may not know about. These three UF students shared stories behind their skin, and they revealed there is more to them than meets the eye.

Name: Adam GerstenfeldAge: 20  Year: juniorMajor: telecommunication

Every time Adam looks at his veins, he is reminded of a very unique compliment he received when he decided to donate blood for the first time in his life.“It must have been my first blood drive. I was in high school, and I was 18. So I go over to the blood mobile, get set up, go inside … I’m making small talk with the woman who was about to do my blood work, and she asked me to pull up my sleeve. And she told me the most wonderful compliment I think I’ve ever heard, and probably the most unique: She said I had really nice veins. And I jokingly remarked to her that my boyfriend thought my arms were nice, too. And her face just dropped. She asked me if I’d had homosexual relations in the past month, and I said ‘Yes, absolutely.’ And she told me that gay men weren’t allowed to give blood. And I just thought that was bizarre and it made me more aware of my sexuality.When I look at my veins, it makes me introspective. It’s a reminder that there are still things I can’t do. There are little things I can’t do and there are also big things I can’t do, like marriage in Florida, which is a big one. There’s a whole spectrum of rights that I’m not allowed that may not affect me on a day-to-day basis, but still… it’s a gentle reminder.”

Name: Mikaela Alejandra GarciaAge:19Year: freshmanMajor: animal sciences

Mikaela’s story focuses on being identified as a Hispanic woman while having light skin. She said people often have misperceptions about her based on her appearance.“In middle school, when I said I was Hispanic, people just assumed I was Mexican. When I tell people I’m Hispanic and Argentinian now, they’ll say, ‘Oh, why are you so white? You don’t look Hispanic at all.’ I don’t get offended, but I do think people should be better informed.I’m Argentinian, and if you go to Argentina, there is a bunch of light-skinned people. It’s just a huge mixture. I’m really proud of my heritage. I really like embracing my Argentinian culture. You shouldn’t assume someone’s a certain race or a certain ethnicity based on their skin color. I’ve definitely proven that to be wrong for many people.”

Name: Prakash SundarAge: 19Year: sophomoreMajor: bioengineering

“My feather was my first tattoo. I’d wanted it for a really long time. I came out my senior year of high school and it was a really, really hard process for me. My friends were supportive and my parents weren’t. It took a huge toll on my mental health. I went through a depression … I was an alcoholic for a little while. My grades tanked. It was overall not a fun time.I’d always had this obsession with feathers. By themselves, they’re so small and don’t do anything. And you wouldn’t think that a feather could lift something like a bird. But when you put them all together, it lifts and helps a bird fly. That’s what they’re meant to do. I always thought that was really cool.My friends really helped me through this process. I don’t think I’d be here without them. I got out of that dark period near the end of senior year. I turned 18 that July, and I’d planned my tattoo for months. I wanted an eagle feather because an eagle is the symbol if Zeus, who is strong and powerful…it gives me strength. The feather also has a black tip, which to Native Americans represents the duality of nature. I finally got that done and I was so happy with it.Now when I look back at it, I think, ‘Yeah, I made it through a lot, and I can make it through a lot more.’ It reminds me that it could be a lot worse and even if it is worse, I can still get through it.”

When walking among the 50,000 students who attend UF, it can be easy to forget that everyone has a story to tell. We bravely bear the scars of our pasts each time we step foot on campus, and we put on a happy face as though they were invisible. These students’ stories prove that we all bear scars, but, more importantly, that all scars will heal.

Jenny is a public relations major/nonprofit organization leadership minor and a junior at UF. This is her first semester working with HerCampus but has two blogs and contributes to The Independent Florida Alligator. Jenny is active on campus and is devoted to Christian Campus House, NaviGators International and Interfaith Ambassadors. She likes: tea, volunteering, journaling, yoga, photography and film editing, waffles and dancing. She dislikes: procrastinating (even though she does it all the time). Follow her twitter @jschooljen or on Facebook. Also check our her blog Rogue Gainesville.