Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

My Favorite Book-To-Film/Show Adaptations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I’ve seen my fair share of book to film adaptations and even television series based off of my favorite novels. Each time I would sit down to watch, it was always the most incredible experience seeing characters come to life to see characters whose inner dialogue I read about. I saw those characters at their best and worst moments, read about their lives and felt their dreams. Yes, while all of these stories are mainly fictional, it doesn’t make the experience of reading about them any less profound. Here are some of my favorite adaptations that I’ve seen.

“Looking for Alaska” (2019)

Hulu decided to create an eight-episode television series based off John Green’s hit novel “Looking for Alaska.” This show was years in the making, and the end result was something spectacular. Based on a fictional story, this show was about a young man named Miles Halter who moves to a boarding school in Alabama. Soon after moving in, he meets Alaska Young, who is a troubled and enigmatic girl who ends up changing his life. This series was so beautiful and showed the real depths of what it’s like to get through your teenage years. It speaks on mental health, friendships, love, loss and tragedy. I cried, I laughed and I enjoyed every single minute of this show. It’s also set in the early 2000s, so the soundtrack does not disappoint.

“All the Bright Places” (2020)

This is a recent discovery for me, but I am so happy I heard about this one. Based on Jennifer Niven’s novel, “All the Bright Places,” this movie is currently on Netflix and it is one of the most profound and stunning films I have seen in a long time. Because the book is in the young adult genre, it follows the lives of two teens. The main character Theodore Finch, aka Finch, is a young man dealing with his mental health and troubled home life. He meets Violet Markey, who is a young woman who is dealing with the death of her sister and is deeply enveloped in grief and sorrow, but still trying to make the best of each day for the sake of her parents. The two teens go on an adventure for a class project, and that adventure allows them to discover each other and discover the beauty of life. I will warn you: This film is stunning, but it does deal with heavy topics. It’s a love story but it also goes over how to deal with profound loss and how to move forward —even in the darkest of times. It’s a tearjerker so bring many, many tissues with you before you watch it!

“Before I Fall” (2017)

This is a really great film adaptation. It’s based off of Lauren Oliver’s novel “Before I Fall,” and it follows the life of Samantha Kingston, a girl in high school whose life changes after one night. After getting into a car accident with her friends, Sam relives the same day over and over again. This story talks about young love, friendships, loyalty and how high school really is ranked based off of social class amongst students. This was a great quick read, and the film perfectly captured the story.

“Love, Simon” (2018)

This is such a heartwarming adaptation. This film follows the novel “Love, Simon,” written by Becky Albertalli. The main character Simon Spier, who is a 17-year-old boy who deals with having to come out to his friends and family as being gay. He falls for a pen pal on his high school’s online web chat. When the conversations between the two get leaked to the entire school, Simon has to deal with the backlash. This is a brilliant story representing those in the LGBTQ+ community, and it’s also a relatable story about love, growing up, relationships with parents and how to find your way in life. This adaptation was a great one.

“Now Is Good” (2012)

This film is based off of British novelist Jenny Downham’s hit novel. “Now Is Good”  is a story about the life of a girl named Tessa. Her life isn’t like any normal teenage girl’s life because she has leukemia. While dealing with her cancer, she meets Adam. He is a young man who is her neighbor. She tells him that she wants to complete her life’s bucket list, and he helps her. This story is one that shows the pain of illness, falling in love with a limited amount of time left and it shows the audience just how important it is to live and be grateful for each day you get. It’s a beautifully written story with an even greater message.

These adaptations are just a few of my favorites, but the list goes on forever. These stories mean so much to me, and I know that there will be many more adaptations created in the future. I hope you enjoy reading and watching these stories just as much as I have.

Former Feature Writer. UF English Literature Alum.