Music Mondays: Possible 2016 Halftime Shows That Don’t Include Bruno Mars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The Super Bowl halftime show is arguably music’s biggest annual performance platform. Last year, Katy Perry put together a meme-filled extravaganza full of beach balls, dancing sharks and a giant metallic lion. The year before, Bruno Mars donned a gold jacket and black tie to sing and dance his way into one of the most watched halftime shows in history, second only to Perry’s the year after.

So, for the NFL’s 50th anniversary of its crème de la crop televised match in 2016, one would think they’d go all out in booking the biggest name in music today… right?

Entertainment Weekly reported that Bruno Mars has been offered the headlining spot in the Super Bowl halftime show once again, and confirmed Mars and Mark Ronson plan to play a special 16-minute long version of “Uptown Funk” for viewers’ listening pleasure. (Okay, that last part was a joke, but I could see it happening.) Billboard, however, added a spin to the news by saying that Mars is only supposed to “curate” the halftime show if he accepts the offer.

There are so many music acts in the industry that viewers would love to see on the field next year that it’s undeniably boring, and pretty much annoying, that the NFL would choose Mars again for the coveted spot. Who would be better options than Mars, you ask? Let me count the acts.

1. Lady GagaGaga hasn’t had new music since her 2013 release of Artpop, but with tons of top 10 hits since “Poker Face” in 2008, she’d be sure to put on a killer halftime show. She could even incorporate some of her American Horror Story: Hotel cast members into the performance. Evan Peters and Matt Bomer could join her dancers. I’d pay to see that.

2. One DirectionGrown men who watch football may not agree with this choice, but their daughters might. Losing a member hasn’t dragged 1D down in the slightest, so Harry Styles and his backup singers would be a shoo-in to devour the ratings.

3. Jay-Z and Kanye WestOne of these artists would be a decent halftime show, but both? That’d be a show to remember. Jay-Z and West are two of hip hop’s most influential names of all time, so they would be perfect choices to perform together. (And, they conveniently happen to be good friends.)

4. Bon JoviThe last rock band to play the halftime show was The Who in 2010, so it’s about time another classic group gets a shot. The New Jersey band spawned some of the most popular hits from the ‘80s, and they’d sound amazing in a stadium.

5. Justin BieberBieber’s poised for one of the biggest comebacks of the last few years, and what better way to promote new music than on the biggest stage in the world? His single “What Do You Mean” has already broken a number of records, so if that’s any indication, we might just see the Canadian on the field this February.

If Bruno Mars does end up headlining (or curating) Super Bowl 50’s halftime show, I’m sure he’ll do a great job. Mars is a captivating performer who has a killer voice to match his smooth dance moves. But if he declines the offer, let’s hope an act even more exciting gets the chance to intercept the gig at Levi’s Stadium.

Photo credit:The Huffington Post

Courtney is a third-year journalism major from Jacksonville and could not be more excited to start her first semester with Her Campus. With her love for concerts starting in kindergarten, she's seen almost 100 shows in seven states to date. When she's not daydreaming about Harry Styles, she’s catching up on CBS reality shows, online shopping or chugging sweet tea (and, probably, still daydreaming about Harry Styles).