Music Mondays: The 21 Best Music Videos of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When MTV actually played music videos back in the day, a lot of thought was put into telling the story of a song through a visual medium. A song was defined by its music video. Today, they’re still important, but are nowhere near as groundbreaking or visionary as their predecessors. There are so many amazing videos that are considered the best or most unique, but I have a select few that have stuck with me ever since my first watch. Check out this list of my top 21 favorite music videos.

1. “It’s Gonna Be Me” – *NSYNC

After seeing this video, I asked my mom – to no avail – for a JC doll every year for five straight Christmases.

2. “Burnin’ Up” – Jonas Brothers

It’s the best ensemble a music video has ever seen – Selena Gomez, Big Rob, the uncle from Spy Kids, along with Nick in a wetsuit, Joe’s mustache and Kevin’s sideburns.

3. “Leave It Up to Me” – Aaron Carter

The special effects were before their time and the dance moves out of this world.

4. “Dance, Dance” – Fall Out Boy

My middle school days revolved around wishing Pete Wentz would throw rocks at my window.

5.“Everything” – Michael Bublé

If you ever need a pick-me-up, watching this video will do just the trick.

6. “Stay” – Sugarland

I’m a single college student, and yet I still seek out songs that make me feel miserable by wishing my man would leave his wife for me.

7. “Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)” – Backstreet Boys

The emotional close-ups, finger snapping, diamond earrings, slo-mo and rain dancing make this the quintessential boy band music video.

8. “Oops!…I Did It Again” – Britney Spears

“But I thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean in the end?”
“Well baby, I went down [to the bottom of the ocean in my space suit] and got it for ya.”
“Aww, you shouldn’t have.”

9. “Love Is On The Radio” – McFly

Just watch.

10. “Yellow” – Coldplay

One take and one sunrise is all Chris Martin needed to make one iconic video.

11. “Goodbye Earl” – Dixie Chicks

This video illustrates sisterhood at its finest.  

12. “Lego House” – Ed Sheeran

Here’s the biggest plot twist in the history of plot twists.

13. “Hero” – Enrique Iglesias

This is the video that made my 6-year-old self wish I could have a man like Enrique who’d get beat up to death for me.

14. “Beautiful Soul” – Jesse McCartney

2004 Jesse McCartney – enough said.

15. “Confident” – Justin Bieber

On my list solely for: “I would like to Taki to you on the phone.”

16. “Yoü and I” – Lady Gaga

In my opinion, this is Gaga (and Joe Calderone) at her most fabulous. (Fun fact: Gaga and fiancé Taylor Kinney met on the set of the video, and he admitted he improvised the on-screen kiss and was met with a slap. How romantic.)

17. “Salute” – Little Mix

A post-apocalyptic world where ladies reign over men on leashes? Sign me up.

18. “One Thing” – One Direction

Perhaps not their best video, but I can still remember rushing to the bathroom in high school to watch the “One Thing” premiere.

19. “I’m Not The Only One” – Sam Smith

Dianna Agron is a goddess and still manages to look heavenly while hysterically crying through her mascara.

20. “Say You’ll Be There” – Spice Girls

Superhero Spice Girls are the best kind of Spice Girls.

21. “Begin Again” – Taylor Swift

The scenery in this video is breathtaking, and Taylor’s outfits made me wish I lived in 1960s Paris.

Is your favorite music video on my list? Let me know on Twitter @courtnerz which ones you would’ve picked!

Photo credit: wikimedia.com

Courtney is a third-year journalism major from Jacksonville and could not be more excited to start her first semester with Her Campus. With her love for concerts starting in kindergarten, she's seen almost 100 shows in seven states to date. When she's not daydreaming about Harry Styles, she’s catching up on CBS reality shows, online shopping or chugging sweet tea (and, probably, still daydreaming about Harry Styles).