Music Mondays: 14 Broadway Albums I’ll Never Delete Off My iPod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

All the world’s a stage, but the only stages I care about are on the Great White Way.

I can’t remember the first day and time, age and place, or actor and musical, but I know I’ve loved theater for as long as I can remember. I grew up going to after-school drama classes and singing in church musicals. (I never had a great voice, but at least they gave me my 15 minutes.) I thought it was what I was meant to do, but, alas, here I am – a journalism major. However, just because I’m not involved in theater 24/7 doesn’t mean I’m not tethered to it by nail and chain – all you have to do is look at the show tunes genre on my iPod.

Here are the 14 Broadway cast albums that I’ll never delete off my music library, and that you should check out if you’re lamé and haven’t already done so.

1. The Last Five Years

This backwards/forwards tale about doomed lovers could be considered theater’s Romeo & Juliet, and the fact that you know the characters aren’t meant to be only makes the emotion that much more potent and heart-shattering. I cried with Cathy, and I cried with Jamie – and I was on both of their sides at one point or another.
Favorite tracks: “Moving Too Fast,” “If I Didn’t Believe In You,” “I Can Do Better Than That”

2. Next To Normal

Have a dysfunctional family? Well, the Goodmans could give you a run for your money. I’m not sure if I’ve seen a more convincing depiction of what a real-life family looks like. (There’s also Aaron Tveit.)
Favorite tracks: “Perfect For You,” “I Am The One,” “Make Up Your Mind/Catch Me I’m Falling”

3. Hamilton

Hamilton has gotten a lot of press over the past year, but none of it is without a good reason. The events that unfold as you listen to the album beg an answer to the opening question: “How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten place in the Caribbean by providence impoverished in squalor, grow up to be a hero and a scholar?” It’s a pretty long question, but it gets answered with beautiful ballads and rap battles.
Favorite tracks: “Helpless,” “Wait For It,” “Take A Break,” “Washington On Your Side,” “Burn”

4. Jesus Christ Superstar

A ‘70s musical about Jesus and his followers who all have Bee Gees hair? Just try to not enjoy yourself while listening to this.
Favorite tracks: “Heaven On Their Minds,” “I Don’t Know How To Love Him,” “Gesthsemane (I Only Want To Say)”

5. Cats

Cats was the first musical I can remember going to see, and every so often – okay, maybe more than often – I watch my DVD of the original London cast show.
Favorite tracks: “The Rum Tug Tugger,” “Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer,” “Mr. Mistoffelees”

6. Catch Me If You Can

This time, Tveit gets his own musical and he gets to play Leonardo DiCaprio. (Well, sort of.) The musical, based off the film with Leo and Tom Hanks (played by Norbert Leo Butz), would’ve won big at the Tonys that year if it hadn’t been for those damn Mormons.
Favorite tracks: “Don’t Break The Rules,” “Fly, Fly Away,” “Goodbye”

7. Once

If you’re not so big into “show tunes” and would rather listen to bands like Mumford & Sons, then this musical is for you. There are lots of instruments and Irish people too, if those tickle your fancy.
Favorite tracks: “Leave,” “Falling Slowly,” “Gold”

8. Les Misérables

I’ve seen this show once on Broadway, once on the West End and once as a touring production, and I seriously get emotional every time. If you try to bad-talk Les Mis to me, I will shut you down in 2.4601 seconds. Don’t let Russell Crowe ruin this breathtaking musical for you.
Favorite tracks: “One Day More,” “Bring Him Home,” “Do You Hear The People Sing?”

9. Pippin

I saw the latest Broadway revival in 2013 and let me tell you – never have I ever been so in awe of a live production. The songs were amazing. The acrobatics were amazing. The cast was amazing. So, just do yourself a favor and find a bootleg to watch it because you won’t be disappointed.
Favorite tracks: “Magic To Do,” “Corner of the Sky,” “On The Right Track”

10. Into The Woods

Listen to this album and you’ll know why Stephen Sondheim is a genius. The movie was pretty good, but nothing could compare to the original Broadway cast. I mean, Her Royal Highness Bernadette Peters is the witch; you can’t get much better than that. (Yes, including Meryl.)
Favorite tracks: “Agony,” “Stay With Me,” “No One Is Alone”

11. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Once again, Stephen Sondheim is the king of musical theater and once again, he got a movie deal out of his awesomeness. The movie for Sweeney is much better than the one for Into The Woods, but I’d still recommend the original Broadway cast recording as the way to go.
Favorite tracks: “The Worst Pies In London,” “Johanna,” “Not While I’m Around”

12. The Book of Mormon

The creators of South Park wrote this musical, and you could’ve probably figured that out yourself just by listening to “Hasa Diga Eebowai.” I saw the London production in 2013, and I’ve genuinely never laughed harder at a musical before. It also swept the Tonys in 2011, much to Aaron Tveit’s dismay.
Favorite tracks: “You And Me (But Mostly Me),” “All-American Prophet,” “Spooky Mormon Hell Dream”

13. Rent

If you don’t love Rent, we should probably rethink our friendship. And if you don’t love Rent and we don’t have a friendship, don’t count on us hangin’ any time soon.
Favorite tracks: “One Song Glory,” “Another Day,” “I’ll Cover You,” “Seasons of Love,” “What You Own”

14. Wicked

How could I write a best-of-Broadway list without including its ultimate karaoke record? No matter how cliché the songs have become, Wicked will always be everyone’s guilty pleasure.
Favorite tracks: “The Wizard and I,” “Dancing Through Life,” “As Long As You’re Mine”

Honorable mentions for my list: Hair, The Phantom of the Opera, Spring Awakening, In The Heights, Beauty and the Beast, Bonnie & Clyde, and Matilda The Musical.

If you want some Broadway in your life ASAP, the cast of Hamilton is performing on the Grammys tonight at 8 p.m. on CBS. Don’t throw away your shot of seeing a snippet of this amazing production!

Photo credits: www.nydailynews.com, www.nytimes.com, www.macaulay.cuny.edu, www.gothamist.com, www.tickets.ticketwise.ca, www.ladyobscure.com, www.stage-rush.com, www.twi-ny.com, www.musicalreviewer.com, www.aroundthetownchicago.com, www.projectcasting.com, www.fanpop.com

Courtney is a third-year journalism major from Jacksonville and could not be more excited to start her first semester with Her Campus. With her love for concerts starting in kindergarten, she's seen almost 100 shows in seven states to date. When she's not daydreaming about Harry Styles, she’s catching up on CBS reality shows, online shopping or chugging sweet tea (and, probably, still daydreaming about Harry Styles).