Music Mondays: The 13 Greatest American Idol Auditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In 2001, the U.S. tuned in to watch as Kelly Clarkson was crowned the first American Idol. Fifteen years later, the country will tune in this week to watch as the last American Idol is crowned. Sure – the series hasn’t been on its A-game since Phillip Phillips, but so many great memories have come out of it. Here’s a countdown of the 13 greatest and most memorable American Idol auditions.

13. Tristan McIntosh, “Why Baby Why” (Season 15)

Great style? Check. Good voice? Check. An emotional moment that makes everyone (including Keith Urban) sob? Double check.

12. Carrie Underwood, “I Can’t Make You Love Me” (Season 4)

Hall is now a viral YouTube star, and his talent is plain to see in his Idol audition.

10. Sherman Pore, “You Belong To Me” (Season 6)

Pore was obviously over the age limit when he came in to audition, but the judges let him sing to pay tribute to his recently deceased wife.

9. Paris Bennett, “Cowboy Take Me Away”/“Take Five” (Season 5)

With one of the most juxtaposed speaking and singing voices, 17-year-old Bennett wowed the judges and made it all the way to the Top 5.

8. Trista Giese, “If I Were King of the Forest” (Season 6)

Whether she sounded more like the Cowardly Lion or Chewbacca would’ve been a more valid question than whether she’d make it to Hollywood.

7. Adam Lambert, “Bohemian Rhapsody” (Season 8)

To this day, it’s still a travesty that Lambert didn’t win Season 8 – he’s without a doubt the most vocally talented singer the show has had. However, he gets the last laugh and is making millions while touring as the frontman of Queen.

6. James Lewis, “Go Down Moses” (Season 7)

Lewis’ audition is disturbingly funny, like when you get the giggles in church when you really aren’t supposed to.

5. Scotty McCreery, “Your Man”/“Put Some Drive In Your Country” (Season 10)

A voice that deep couldn’t possibly come out of a 16-year-old, and yet it did with Scotty. (The audition’s also on the list for Steven Tyler’s poetic outburst at 2:37.)

4. Renaldo Lapuz, “I Am Your Brother” (Season 7)

You know a bad audition’s actually great when you get invited back to sing at the finale.

3. Clay Aiken, “Always and Forever” (Season 2)

When Aiken walked into the audition room, no one expected a voice like that to come out of him. One of Idol’s best traits is teaching viewers to not judge a book by its cover.

2. General Larry Platt, “Pants on the Ground” (Season 9)

It’s arguably the most iconic song to come out of the show.

1. Chris Medina, “Breakeven” (Season 10)

Idol has had quite a few sob stories over the years, but no other audition got to me like Medina’s did.  

What are your favorite Idol auditions? Set aside some time and reflect on your best Idol memories, and pour one out for the show during its three-part finale starting Tuesday, April 5.

Photo credit: youtube.com

Courtney is a third-year journalism major from Jacksonville and could not be more excited to start her first semester with Her Campus. With her love for concerts starting in kindergarten, she's seen almost 100 shows in seven states to date. When she's not daydreaming about Harry Styles, she’s catching up on CBS reality shows, online shopping or chugging sweet tea (and, probably, still daydreaming about Harry Styles).