The Music Industry’s New Take on Self Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Recently, I’ve noticed change taking place in the music industry. Artists like Colbie Caillat, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are producing songs that encourage females to be themselves and love their bodies without caring what other people think. Her Campus UFL digs this new trend, and we think more women should embrace these new beats.

“Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift“I stay out too late. Got nothing in my brain. That’s what people say, that’s what people say. I go on too many dates, but I can’t make ’em stay. At least that’s what people say. Mhm. That’s what people say, mhm. But I keep cruising. Can’t stop, won’t stop moving.”

Unlike Swift’s usual songs about relationships and heartbreaks, “Shake It Off,” is a message to society that no matter what people say, nothing can get her down. If Swift, who is always in the spotlight, can be herself without caring what others think, so can you. Next time someone tries to bring you down, just remember to shake it off.

“All About That Bass” by Meghan Trainor“I see the magazine workin’ that Photoshop. We know that sh** ain’t real, c’mon now. Make it stop. If you got beauty, beauty, just raise ’em up. ‘Cause every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top.”

Trainor is “bringing booty back” in “All About That Bass,” in which she encourages women to love their bodies — whether they’re a size 2 or 14. In today’s society, females are constantly pressured to look a certain way, but Trainor reminds us we don’t have to be a “stick figure silicone Barbie doll” in order to love our bodies. Next time you look in the mirror, remember “every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top.”

“Try” by Colbie Caillat“You don’t have to try so hard. You don’t have to give it all away. You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up. You don’t have to change a single thing.”

Caillat is super transparent in the music video for ”Try,” in which she takes off her makeup and removes her hair extensions to reveal her natural beauty. Being the goddess she is, Caillat looks beautiful with or without makeup. She reminds us the only thing that’s important is for us to like ourselves — no one else’s opinion matters. When you feel like you need the approval of others, know you don’t have to change, “’cause I like you.”

“Secrets” by Mary Lambert“They tell us from the time we’re young, to hide the things that we don’t like about ourselves, inside ourselves. I know I’m not the only one who spent so long attempting to be someone else. Well I’m over it.”

Lambert’s “Secrets” lets the world know that she doesn’t care if the world knows her secrets, but she’s done being someone else. This song inspires women to be themselves without worrying what others will think — even if that means rocking mom jeans and wearing cat earrings. When the world tries to tell you that you’re not good enough, respond as Lambert would with a sassy “so what.”

“Girl In A Country Song” by Maddie & Tae“How in the world did it go so wrong? Like all we’re good for is looking good for you and your friends on the weekend. Nothing more. We used to get a little respect. Now we’re lucky if we even get to climb up in your truck. Keep my mouth shut and ride along down some old dirt road we don’t even wanna be on, and be the girl in a country song.”

This refreshing change in music isn’t only limited to pop, but it has also spread into country music. Maddie & Tae confront the stereotype of women in “Girl In A Country Song.” This song reminds us women are deserving of respect and call out all those who think women are just something nice to look at. If someone ever stereotypes you for being a woman, remind them “we ain’t a cliché.”

“Roar” by Katy Perry“You held me down, but I got up. Already brushing off the dust. You hear my voice, you hear that sound, like thunder gonna shake the ground. You held me down, but I got up. Get ready ’cause I’ve had enough. I see it all, I see it now.”

Perry doesn’t hold back in “Roar,” which conveys the message that no matter how many times she gets knocked down, she will always get back up. This song reminds us that women are strong — there’s nothing a man can do that women can’t do better. If you believe you can do something, then do it and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t. The next time someone tries to limit you, let them hear you “roar louder, louder than a lion.”

This change in the music industry is refreshing and much needed. Now, all it takes is turning on the radio in order to remind yourself that you are beautiful and perfect just as you are. Embrace this change, collegiettes, and enjoy jamming along!

Morgan is a public relations freshman at the University of Florida and is a new addition to the Her Campus UFL team. She recently moved to Gainesville from the small city of Deltona, Florida in order to embark on a new journey in her life. She is best described as a motivated individual who does everything to the best of her ability and likes to look good while doing it. Morgan is passionate about fashion, online shopping, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. In her free time she enjoys retail therapy, catching up with her friends and family, spending time outside, and cheering on the Florida Gators.