Managing the Financial Stress of Holiday Gift Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the holiday season fast approaching, you’ve probably already gotten this question from your roommates, grandma and even those distant relatives you only see during holidays: what do you want for Christmas? If you’ve checked answering that question off your list, maybe you’ve moved on to the next step—wait, does that mean I need to get THEM a gift? 

Maybe that’s when the stress—the very same you thought you were rid of after finals—sets in.

Gift giving can be hard enough (hello, pressure to pick the perfect item), but when you throw in financial worries, it can become downright stressful.

Maybe you can only afford to buy for a few select people; maybe you can’t afford gifts at all. Whatever the situation, here are a few tips and tricks to transform this task into one that belongs on the nice list: 

For gifts to your family

Be honest. Your family is on your side, and oftentimes, your parents know your financial situation. Even if they don’t, they remember being college students. Maybe you don’t want to admit that you can’t afford elaborate presents, but it’ll save your bank account a lot of stress if you do. 

Set a price limit. Have a discussion with anyone in your family you could be buying for—parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. Together, you can decide on a budget that works for everyone that you can’t go over. That way, expectations are realistic, and everyone is on the same page.

Tips and tricks. One of my favorite ways to give gifts is pairing up with my siblings and splitting the cost of presents. I have two brothers, so I pair up with Brother 1 to get Brother 2 a gift and vice versa. The three of us often combine funds to get gifts for our parents. That way, everyone is spending less money, but everyone still gets nice gifts. Additionally, if you have a large extended family, doing Secret Santa with your price limit can be a lifesaver. That way, you can still shop for your favorite cousins without going broke. 

For gifts to your friends.

Secret Santa is your BFF. If you have a large group of friends, buying for everyone is impossible. That’s where Secret Santa arrives to save the day. My friends and I usually set the price limit at $20, but it can be more or less. We also usually fill out a paper with some of our favorites—candies, foods, restaurants, movies, self-care items—to provide gift givers ideas of things we’d love. 

No money? No problem. Don’t be afraid to get creative! Homemade gifts can be the way to go. My friend who can draw often gives art on birthdays and other holidays. I can cross-stitch, so I give my more bookish friends bookmarks. From baking to scrapbooks, low-cost, homemade options can convey just as much (and more) love as other gifts. You can also give gifts of time or activity. People have tons of responsibilities—school, work, personal care, family. Sometimes friends can get lost in the shuffle. Quality time spent together or a fun activity, like decorating Christmas cookies or having a movie night, can act as a gift, as well. 

Again—be honest. Many of your friends are in a similar situation—very few college students have unlimited funds. But you may get caught in pride, where you lie and tell yourself, I can absolutely afford this, and your friends may be doing the same. An honest conversation can change this sentiment and make everyone see reality. You’ll also remember that the most important things aren’t the gifts, but the time you spend with them.

How do I have these conversations?

Have them early. Seriously. As someone who shrivels at the slightest hint of confrontation and conflict, I totally understand putting off talking about gifts and money. Talking about money is uncomfortable! But you also shouldn’t go broke buying gifts or get caught in an awkward situation two days away from the holidays. Tell your loved ones that you want to talk about gifts and know what you want to say. 

Stick to your limits. You know how much you can spend—don’t let people guilt you into spending more. Maybe you’ll see messages on social media about the importance of gift giving, or maybe your friends will want to spend more than you’re comfortable with. Try your best to be assertive! It may be unpleasant or uncomfortable, but you know your finances and limits best.

Don’t worry too much. Most importantly, remember that at their core, the holidays aren’t about gifts, but spending time with people you love. After a long semester, your family and friends will be happy to see you, not the stuff you can give them. While gifts are a great way to show your love, they can’t replace your presence during the holiday season.

Morgan Spraker is a sophomore English major at the University of Florida. She loves to write about ordinary people (fictional or real) doing extraordinary things. When she isn't searching for new stories, she's reading, exercising, spending time with friends, or obsessing over Marvel movies. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @morgan_spraker