Mama Mia! (Minus the Calorie Headache)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For college students, especially those on a diet, it can be difficult to cook a healthy, delicious meal that lets you indulge. With this 377 calorie Italian wonder you will be able to eat another 1,500+ calories to fulfill the FDA recommended 2,000 calorie daily intake.

After each bite feel as if you’ve taken an afternoon trip to a country best known for its delicious plates. This gnocchi with tomatoes, pancetta and wilted watercress recipe, which comes from eatingwell.com, contributes plenty of nutritional benefits by having 15 percent of the suggested daily value calcium and iron, and 50 percent of your daily Vitamin C.

4 servings, about 1 cup each

Total Time:30 minutes

Ingredients

• 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound gnocchi, (see Shopping Tip)
  • 4 ounces watercress, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (6 cups packed)
  • 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation

1. Put a large pan of water on to boil.
  2. Cook pancetta in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, sugar and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are almost completely broken down, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and salt. Remove from the heat.
  3. Cook gnocchi in the boiling water until they float, 3 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Place watercress in a colander and drain the gnocchi over the watercress, wilting it slightly. Add the gnocchi and watercress to the sauce in the pan; toss to combine. Serve immediately, with Parmesan.

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.
Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.