priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

Long Distance Love: Keeping the Romance Alive This Valentine’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With Valentine’s Day approaching quickly, some relationships are hitting some bumps in the road. Sadly, not all of us find ourselves in the same city, state, or continent as our beloved. It kind of makes us hate all those couples who complain about not seeing each other in two days (lucky you). But not all hope is lost! When Mr. Right is in North Carolina and you’re in Gainesville, some creativity is in order! Here are a few ideas to help you two love birds cope with long distance love this Valentine’s Day.

1. A Stargazing Phone Date

The most important part of a relationship isn’t physically spending time together — it’s knowing the other person is thinking of you. For example, we spend plenty of time on the phone with our beau, and it makes us feel close to them. Now, it’s time to make it romantic! The great thing about living in suburban Gainesville is that the skies are really clear at night! Take advantage of this, and take your phone outside. Grab a drink and a blanket and lay down in the grass stargazing with your sweetheart. No matter how far away you are from each other, you’ll be looking at the same sky. He may think it’s cheesy, but he’ll also think it’s sweet.

2. Game On!

Not all girls are gamers, but a lot of our boyfriends are. We like to think that Valentine’s Day is all about loving on the ladies, but the men need some affection, too. The least we can do is something they will find fun. Who knows… You might get into it, too. Play a game with your far-away man! I don’t mean sitting down and playing Call of Duty with him but online Battleship or checkers. Something as simple as playing together can remind you of all the best things about him and show him you care about what he likes. You might surprise yourself with how involved you can get in a game of virtual Monopoly. Best part is there is always the chance you can wipe the floor with him! Nothing is better than beating a boy.

3. Dinner and a Movie!

When we are in the same city as our boyfriend, the movie and dinner date is a staple. This shouldn’t change just because he’s in Timbuktu and you’re not. Pick a movie you’ll both enjoy, and sit down with some dinner. It’ll be exactly like dinner and a movie at your house, except he can’t steal off your plate! Keep a video chat going so you guys can comment on what’s going on, how dinner tastes, and the usual couple banter. If you make this a habit, you know you’ll always have a date night with him, and he knows you care enough to stay in and watch The Breakfast Club. It’s all about letting each other know you care. However, don’t over-plan the night; you’ll ruin it for both of you.

I know being away from your guy is hard. It puts a strain on any healthy relationship because you have to change the way you interact with each other. The key to keeping things happy is to be considerate and to communicate. Although we would all love to drive the two hours it takes to go see him every afternoon, that’s impractical and expensive. Get creative with technology, and create something brand new. It’s not always about physical proximity; it’s about feeling close to him. Don’t worry, while all those couples are waiting two hours in line at the Olive Garden, you’ll be having homemade pasta and ABC Family romantic comedy marathons with your love and without the lines.

Photo Credits 
Games: http://www.g4tv.com 
Laptop: http://www.thegloss.com 
Stargazing lion king: http://inkspotsandgrassstains….

Journalism major with a minor in education. Currently a copywriter for Infinite Energy. Twitter handle: @DiadysFig
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.