Style > Beauty

Local Spa Launches Inner Beauty Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

LAE Beauty, a local full service MediSpa and tanning salon, has launched a new campaign with the intention of showcasing what beauty really means.

“Beauty Is” is an inner beauty campaign that will showcase inspirational and extraordinary stories of the people in the local community and beyond.

Sonya Matejko, sales and marketing associate at LAE Beauty who came up with the idea along with four other women, says the new campaign will encourage women to embrace their inner beauty.

“We’re using real people from around the local community to promote the campaign. All the people either live in Gainesville currently or are [UF] alumni,” Matejko said.

The campaign, which launched Nov. 1, will run on a blog, a Twitter account and on Facebook.

Each social medium will be used as a different aspect for the campaign.

While Twitter is solely used to post inspirational quotes on inner beauty, Facebook is geared toward showing other beauty campaigns, such as the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty. It will also post inspirational inner beauty songs and promote the blog, which spotlights local individuals who have done great things, Matejko said.

“I want readers to be inspired, to want to do more and to see the good in other people while striving to realize the good in themselves,” Matejko said.

The first spotlight features a story about Rachel Smalheiser, a woman who has spent her summers volunteering at a children’s orphanage and day care in Honduras.

“She’s just like all of us,” Matejo said. “She goes to UF and lives a normal college life, except she is willing to give her summers to children who need help.”

Some of the other featured stories will include spotlights on nurses that have gone abroad or individuals who volunteer at shelters.

“It’s so easy to go to the mall and buy the best outfit and pair it with a great lipstick to look beautiful,” Matejko said. “What’s not easy is making people smile and making a difference.”

Women and whose inner beauty stories are selected will receive a $20 gift certificate towards anything they’d like at LAE.

Most of all, the campaign hopes to encourage women in acknowledging their inner beauty and to continue building on it.

“When you look at someone with inner beauty you can tell. There’s a different glow,” Matejko said. “It’s a different confidence, and it makes you wonder about them. It’s a different kind of beauty, but it’s the most important one.

You can check out the campaign at its Facebook page for “Beauty Is,” follow the campaign on Twitter at @RealBeautyIs_, and view the blog at www.realbeautyis.blogspot.com. Inner beauty stories can be sent to laebeautyinc@gmail.com

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥