This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Right now, you might feel a little bit distant from your surroundings, your peers and your “normal life.” I think it’s safe to say you’re not alone, and it’s a hard emotion to overcome. In this extremely odd time we are living in, music has the power to bring us together more than ever before. Previously, I loved going to concerts to sing along, dance around and feel connected to the artist and the audience surrounding me. Sadly, concerts are almost nonexistent at the moment, but that doesn’t mean you still can’t enjoy local Gainesville music.

Gainesville is home to an abundance of amazing artists that consistently provide students and residents with fun nights and entertainment. Normally, we might all be at The High Dive or Heartwood Soundstage together on a Friday night. But because that’s not possible right now, streaming services are more important than ever. Whether you’re not in Gainesville this semester, or you just miss the music scene, here are some local Gainesville artists that you need to listen to right now.

Flipturn

Flipturn is personally one of my favorite local bands. The group was created in a garage in Fernandina Beach by Dillon Basse, Tristan Duncan and Madeline Jarman. The three previously attended the University of Florida and have made themselves known with the Gainesville student and local crowds. I love seeing Madeline play the bass, highlighting inclusion and breaking gender roles in the industry.

A year ago they released their EP “Something You Needed,” which includes the amazing song “Glistening.” It’s a melancholy love song in which Basse asks his lover to tell him what to do and insists “he could be a better man,” The soothing sound of the vocals and the music always make me feel at peace. Other Flipturn songs I would recommend adding to your playlist are “August,” “Six Below” and “Churches.” Overall, they are an amazing band to listen to, sing along or dance to at home or in the car.

Faze Wave

Faze Wave is a band from Jacksonville, Florida, with what I would consider an indie or beachy vibe. Their Instagram bio describes the group as “mom rock,” which I think is a description that suits their music well. Faze Wave is well-known in the Gainesville area, playing at a recent socially distanced concert at Heartwood Soundstage. They have a unique sound, ranging from garage band vibes to alternative pop, which makes them a standout at local venues.

Their most popular song, “Makeout,” was released in 2016 and has surpassed one million streams on Spotify. Overall, Faze Wave is a very interesting band with an exclusive sound. I would recommend listening to “Makeout,” “Florida” and “Couch.”

Driptones

Driptones is a band that formed through hometown relationships and mutual connections at the University of Florida. They describe themselves as “genre-fluid,” creating what feels right and not putting themselves into a box. After playing covers for Gator fans and fraternities, they started to create their own music. Driptones’ first single “Give & Take” reached 50,000 streams, which helped them realize they were onto something. This led them to keep recording and making music.

I would describe their music as nostalgic, engaging and compelling. I love the different sounds that they create through their different songs, keeping the listener on their toes. I would recommend listening to “Give & Take” and their latest single “Wave Sounds.”

Driveaway

Driveaway is a band based in Florida, with sometimes sad and melancholy lyrics portrayed with trendy and upbeat indie-pop music. According to their Spotify page, they are “best known for honest lyrics discussing experiences with relationships, successful and failed, especially under the lens of depression.” The group writes and records from their home, bringing a sense of nostalgia to each song they produce.

Driveaway’s song “Comparisons” is a good example of the sometimes serious topics of their songs, asking “Do you love me still?” Despite the retelling of a sad story of comparisons and doubt, the song still has a memorable and positive tune. Some of my favorite songs of theirs are “Comparisons” and “Is This Letting Go?”

The Hails

The Hails are another local band created by University of Florida students. They have since graduated but not without gaining some Gainesville fans through their fun atmosphere while performing catchy songs. They have been recently rising in fame, with their song “Younger” gaining five million views. They also got a shoutout from Terry Crews on his Instagram Live —crazy, right?

The Hails’ music has a fun and youthful sound, making it a great material for a workout or dance party playlist. Their song “Stay” consists of lyrics like “I like it when you go, but I love it when you stay.” The short but sweet song also includes great harmonies, fun guitar riffs and a memorable tune. I would recommend adding “Younger,” “Stay” and “Sippin on the Daylight” to your playlist.

King Complex

King Complex is another band I saw live for the first time at Heartwood Soundstage. I had never listened to their music until that night, but I instantly loved it. Their Spotify page describes them as blending “dance-rousing anthems with the mysterious allure of a sensory-heavy live show.” The duo from St. Petersburg, Florida, is known for wearing ski masks on stage. They have a great stage presence despite the crowd not being able to see their face, capturing the audience’s attention through their fun music and exciting visuals.

Even if you can’t see them live and experience the bright visuals, streaming their songs is just as great of an experience. King Complex has an alternative rock or electronic music vibe, making them extremely unique. I would recommend adding the songs “Dark Disco” and “Body Language” to your playlist. All of their music has such a fun and eclectic vibe, making them a great local band to support.

Right now, our local businesses need us more than ever. Just like supporting them in their time of need, we should also be supporting local music artists. Heartwood Soundstage is having a series of socially distanced concerts throughout the spring semester, which you can learn more about here. If you don’t feel safe or comfortable attending an in-person concert, there are still many other ways to support local artists. Stream their music, follow them on social media platforms, share their songs with your friends and add them to your playlist. Until we’re all dancing and screaming the lyrics together again, let’s make sure we are continually supporting our favorite artists.

Madison Hodge is a junior at the University of Florida where she majors in Advertising. She has a small business on Etsy named Stardust Design, where she sells custom digital illustrations, stickers, apparel, and more. In her free time Madison loves to spend time with her boyfriend, go to the beach, drink lemonade, and draw.