Sweatpants Against A Wall
Sweatpants Against A Wall
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Culture > News

A Little More in Deppth: An Analysis of the New Audio Between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard divorced in 2016 for irreconcilable differences. Since then, allegations of spousal abuse have swirled around the media, and restraining orders and defamation suits have emerged. To say the least, the pair have a tumultuous relationship.

Despite reaching a $7 million settlement, the two have continued to feud over the abusive dynamics of their former relationship. Heard had accused Depp of physical violence, to which he’d always denied. He also claimed to be a victim of abuse, but new audio from an informal therapy session has confirmed Heard’s violence against him.

It is unclear what the context of the argument is, but one thing is certain— Heard physically harmed Depp during past altercations. 

“That’s different… One does not negate the other. That’s irrelevant… Just because I’ve thrown pots and pans does not mean you cannot come and knock on my door,” she said in response to his accusation of hitting him with pots.

Aside from the blatant confession of throwing objects at Depp, Heard also gaslights him when he mentions the account of her allegedly punching him in the jaw.

“What are you f—king talking about? I didn’t f—king even have a f—king thing to lie about… Every f—king fight. There’s a new thing that you’ve convinced yourself there’s a lie,” she said.

In the recording, Heard admits to hitting Depp, sarcastically apologizing that it wasn’t a “proper slap” to distinguish from a punch, which she denies.

“You didn’t get punched. You got hit. I’m sorry I hit you like this. But I did not punch you. I did not f—king deck you. I f—king was hitting you.”

As mentioned, it is unclear if Depp also was engaged in physically harming his spouse, as there is a lack of tangible evidence, such as the audiotapes that were just leaked, that may suggest it was reciprocated.

What is known, however, is that Heard did engage in violence. It’s important to note that while she may also be a victim, she did not share the full truth of the alleged abuse—that it was a cyclical pattern perpetuated by both parties involved.

Researchers at the University of Bristol conducted an analysis on domestic violence against men— its prevalence, its effects and its solutions. It also brings up the matter of where the topic falls into societal conversation.

“Men tend to worry they would not be believed, or that they would be perceived as less masculine if they reported abuse, their analysis found,” reported an article from Reuters Health.

The multifaceted concept of masculinity is one that is historically embedded in society’s framework. Violence against men goes unreported and unspoken about for reasons relating to archaic gender roles.

While women are indisputably the more frequent target of domestic violence, the statistics of intimate partner abuse is still daunting. The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence reported that 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men had been abused by a partner by method of slapping, shoving, pushing or more. 

In the case of Depp and Heard, a lot more to the story has yet to be uncovered. Yet, the hashtag #JusticeForJohnnyDepp has already started trending on various social media platforms. While it has been confirmed that Heard did participate in violence against Depp, it still has not absolved Depp from her prior allegations of his abuse toward her.

“The fact that a woman fights or talks back does not mean that she has not been the subject of repeated domestic violence and abuse,” Heard’s attorney Roberta Kaplan said. “It’s a myth to say, as Mr. Depp apparently is implying, that if Ms. Heard slapped him, then she can’t also be a victim.”

Alexis is a fourth-year journalism major with a minor in women's studies. Her ideal career would be one that incorporates her love for writing and her passion for social activism. For fun, she likes to read crime and romance novels, explore recommended podcasts, and binge watch New Girl. When she isn't curled up with a book or Netflix, she can usually be found enjoying the nature trails of Gainesville.