Lilly Singh Shakes Up Late-Night TV Scene with New Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

From YouTube videos to late-night TV, Lilly Singh is a force to be reckoned with on and off-screen. On September 16th, the late-night TV scene changed drastically as A Little Late with Lilly Singh replacing Last Call with Carson Daly in NBC’s 1:35 a.m. slot.

Not only is Singh the first woman of late-night TV, but her history of wild success on YouTube also attracts viewers of a different audience than your typical late-night show host would.

Die-hard fans and casual fans alike are tuning in to Singh’s show as it airs or the next day on streaming services, including YouTube.

Singh also has the ability to attract completely new viewers, whether they are avid fans of late-night TV or simply want to see someone more representative of themselves on TV.

Singh is Indian Canadian and is well aware of the effect that her show could have on the future of media and the representation that is found within it. For many people of color, not being able to identify with the people who star in the media they consume is the norm – and a shift in this norm is long overdue.

She also recently came out as bisexual, which adds a whole new layer of representation to popular television. The LGBTQ+ community is vastly underrepresented in media, and the representation that is out there is often – if not always – based on stereotypes rather than actual experiences.

Diversity should be present everywhere from our favorite movies to the novels that we read in English classes growing up. Because our society is so diverse, it only makes sense that our media should be as well.

There are countless characteristics that we hold that all make us unique, but representation in the most basic of characteristics — such as ethnicity, gender, and sexuality, to name a few — is vital to the way that we carry ourselves and how we are perceived by others.

Many people who do not see themselves in the people casted in movies, TV shows as well as the characters in books and beyond may experience difficulties in understanding who they are and their place in society. 

Representation is a powerful thing, and Singh’s first guest on A Little Late was a testament to that.

Mindy Kaling joined Singh onstage for an interview and some games, and Kaling said “has NBC ever had this many Indian women on at one time?” Singh responded with “has any show ever had this many Indian women on it?”

Their conversation went on to talk about what it was like to grow up not having role models on TV that they could relate to. Singh was sure to tell Kaling that her work, starting from the Office and beyond, helped inspire her and countless other people over the years. “You paved the path for so many people like me,” Singh said. 

About the show

Each episode, Singh has one to two guests during her half-hour set.

Each episode includes an opening monologue, some short pre-recorded skits, a guest interview complete with games, and occasional performances by musicians.

Singh’s adjustment to live recordings coming from a background of edited YouTube videos hasn’t been the smoothest, but no late-night host was perfect from the very start. Each episode is better than the last, and her natural tendency to make people laugh with her witty and smart jokes keeps the tone bright.

While some pre-written jokes tend to come off as forced, I am confident that her delivery will improve over time. 

Singh has a very natural rapport with all of her guests, as well. She cracks jokes every few minutes and makes everyone feel welcome and comfortable.

Although the personality that she brings to A Little Late is quite different than the one that was highlighted in all of her YouTube videos, Singh possesses the ability to captivate any audience no matter the topic.

With time, I am sure that the show will settle into its own rhythm and feel more similar to the vibe that her YouTube videos had. Of course, one can’t expect the show to be in exactly the same style as her videos due to the format of live TV and the fact that Singh may want the show to be separate from her old online persona.

She is still the same bubbly and charismatic woman, but you can tell that she is aiming for something completely unique with A Little Late.

As with any new live show, it takes time for the show to figure itself out, and I know that Singh’s will with time.

I am excited for future episodes and have been streaming them the day of their release because the 1:35 a.m. slot is a bit too late for my schedule. The ability to stream them is a huge bonus, as I don’t want to miss out on any episodes. I really enjoy them and love watching Singh shine on her stage. 

Based on the first few episodes alone, you can tell that Singh is a great addition to the late-night lineup.

People of color seldom have their stories told or see themselves reflected in popular media, so the opportunity for Singh to share parts of herself with the world is exciting.

I am looking forward to her perspective on topics that her male counterparts have taken on in the past as well as topics that have rarely been addressed on television.

Whether she’s inspiring the next generation of entertainers or resonating with people of color as well as people in the LGBTQ+ community, I am confident that Singh’s show will be nothing short of spectacular for many years to come.

Jessica Hernandez is a University of Florida Senior doublte-majoring in Economics and Sustainability Studies. She has a heart for activism, is an avid reader, a lover of vegan food, and a member of the rock climbing team at UF. She can often be found reading books in her hammock or trying vegan food at restaurants in Gainesville.