This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There are many jobs in the theatre world, but you know who gets most of the credit? Actors. And they deserve some of it, but there is a lot of behind the scenes work to make amazing shows happen. I recently stage managed Arthur Miller’s play All My Sons. Being a stage manager is like being the director once the performances start — you have all the power. Stage managing was a wonderful experience, but it was also a big responsibility.

Organization

Papers, papers, papers and more papers. There is so much paperwork that goes on when being a stage manager. I had several files on my computer dedicated to All My Sons. I had to make rehearsal schedules, calendars, contact sheets and rehearsal reports. People forget about all of the extra time stage managers put into shows. I became better at personal time management because I was under such a strict schedule balancing school and rehearsal. During rehearsals, I was constantly checking the time to make sure we were on schedule. I was in charge of making sure the cast was on time and in the right place. I was like the mom who always had to check if her children were where they were supposed to be.

Stress

Even though calling the cues to a show was very stressful, it also gave me a rush of adrenaline. For every performance, I had to read along word-for-word through the script until I came across a lighting or sound cue. Over a headset I gave a standby warning and said the key word “Go” on the exact lines or the exact entrance or exit of a character. It was a lot of pressure. My heart pounded as I waited for those cues. The obvious cues like a car horn or a telephone ring had to be precise or else the audience was able to tell right away if I messed up. But that’s the thrill of live theatre — anything can happen. One night there was an old light that was making a rattling noise, but there was nothing we could do to stop it. Another night, an audience member’s loud siren alarm blasted through the theatre and the actors were caught off guard. They ignored it and kept on saying their lines (like true professionals).

Friendship

I spent about four to five hours a day for more than a month on this play. It was unbelievable to watch the actors grow into their characters and find new things about their role at each rehearsal. Sometimes I felt as if I were babysitting the actors by making sure they had enough breaks and feeding them their lines when they were forgotten. Then other times I felt like the proud grandma bragging about how good the cast was to my friends at brunch. Half of me was so ready to be done, but the other half of me was like “Wait. Now what?” It feels strange not seeing the same people I’ve seen every day for a month anymore. I will never forget the inside jokes and the funny pre-show memories.

I think I’m done with stage managing for a while. It was a great experience, and I’m glad it helped me with time management and organizational skills, but it definitely exhausted me. It was a lot of pressure to command a room and make sure people listened to what I had to say. Luckily, all the performances were very successful, and everyone who came to see All My Sons told me how much they enjoyed it. (Little did they know how much of a role I had in making sure the production was a success!)

Kelvy is a third year at the University of Florida double majoring in Theatre and Telecommunication Production. After graduation, she hopes to work in the entertainment industry. She loves movies and TV shows, but most importantly I love all things Disney!