Let’s Face It – Vegetarians Have Their Reasons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Menus become more food-inclusive in response to vegetarian diets

The car pulls up to the drive through and you sheepishly ask, “What options do you have for vegetarians?” Your friends or your family chose a local fast food joint for dinner, but the menu is dominated by burgers and chicken. You’re the vegetarian who needs special accommodations but doesn’t want to stop your omnivorous family or friends from eating at their favorite fast-food venue. 

Luckily, vegetarian-friendly menus are trending. Fast-food establishments are increasingly adding beyond meat to their menus or using protein substitutes in salads, quesadillas and other dishes. Restaurants are becoming more willing to remove meat ingredients from a recipe, and many menus now have a symbol next to meals that are specifically designed for vegetarian diets. So, while a barbeque joint may not be the most suitable place for an animal-friendly eater businesses are becoming more inclusive in their menu options. 

Having been a vegetarian since eighth grade, I rejoiced when Panda Express announced the return of its impossible orange chicken, and black bean burgers are a go-to meal at some of my favorite restaurants. But, despite an increase in menu diversity, society has a long way to go before vegetarianism is embraced with open arms. 

I wasn’t pressured by my family, friends or environmental and animal advocates to become a vegetarian. It was a choice I made based on my own morals and health. I didn’t think it would be a big deal to other people. I made sure my diet would not be deprived of any important nutrients, and I found protein supplements to incorporate into meals and snacks. It was a personal decision that I took control of. But to this day, when someone finds out I’m a vegetarian, I’m bombarded with curious questions:

“How do you do it? I could never?”

“Don’t you miss chicken? What about beef?”

“Is it a diet thing? An animal thing? An environmental thing?”

The answer is: It doesn’t matter.

Vegetarian diets are seen as an anomaly. Yes, vegetarians are a minority group. But we still eat three meals a day and consume similar snacks to other people. The difference is simple — we don’t eat meat. It’s not an absurd concept, yet it’s faced with jokes, curiosity and scrutiny. 

The lifestyle is critiqued and questioned without much consideration granted to why people choose to become vegetarian. With vegetarian diets becoming more widely accepted on menus, it’s important that the public also steps forward to understand vegetarianism as a culture and a lifestyle. Here are the top three reasons why an individual may make a commitment to being a vegetarian:

1. Dietary Decision

According to Harvard Health, vegetarians tend to receive more of specific vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, dietary fiber and vitamins C and E. There is also less saturated fats and cholesterol in a vegetarian diet in the absence of meat. In the long-term, vegetarian diets can result in a decreased risk of chronic diseases and lead to longer lives. This is, of course, if the diet is sustainable for the individual’s health needs and nutrients commonly derived from meat — notably iron from red meat — is still accounted for in day-to-day diets.

2. Animal Advocacy

Maybe you’re a devoted animal lover who can’t seem to stomach eating something that was once alive. That’s understandable and this decision shouldn’t be seen as a source of ridicule. Likewise, people who eat meat shouldn’t be shunned for their choices, either. Everyone has different tastes, preferences and dietary needs. If you choose to become a vegetarian because you can’t handle the thought of eating animals anymore, then that’s nothing to be ashamed of. These choices should be supported and embraced rather than poked fun at. 

3. Environmental Concerns

This reason is the most controversial of them all. Different research institutes and news articles will provide conflicting information as to how environmentally sustainable a vegetarian diet is. From the devil’s advocate point of view, less meat production means that less greenhouse gasses are emitted. But the alternative plant-based diet also consumes lots of energy. Fruits, veggies, nuts and other food products also need to be processed and shipped overseas or across state lines. The environmental factor of food consumption may lie more in the hands of the big-money corporations that manage food production. Needless to say, those who are committed vegetarians may side with the belief that it’s a more environmentally conscious lifestyle.

Lasting thoughts…

I am entering my sixth year as a vegetarian, and it’s an accomplishment that I’m proud of. I am healthy and well, and I can say the same goes for my vegetarian friends. Being a vegetarian is not a nuisance, nor is it a reason to treat someone like they’re not entirely normal. If you look around, you’ll see that food production, restaurant menus and societal perspectives are starting to change.

So, the next time I’m at a drive-through window, I’ll stick my head out and ask with confidence what the vegetarian options are.

Sophia is a first-year journalism major who is passionate about social justice and women's rights. Her writing focuses on self-empowerment and female unity. When she is not writing she is likely reading the news, going for a run or finding a new coffee shop to study at.