sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kylie Jenner’s Baby Reveal Has Turned the World Upside Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Although last night was indeed Super Bowl LII, the talk of the day was definitely not that! Social media was buzzing all day upon the news that Kylie Jenner officially announced that she gave birth to a healthy baby girl on February 1.

We all knew it, so why were we all surprised?

This news was not new to faithful followers of the Kardashian-Jenners, as there were many speculations about Kylie’s pregnancy after she had not been spotted for a while. However, her Instagram post announcing the birth of her baby created an uproar. I guess we all knew, but since it was never official, we weren’t going to believe it until we knew for sure.

Super Bowl Sunday

Probably the most iconic part of the entire reveal was the timing of the announcement – Super Bowl Sunday. There was a complete shift in social media posts from fans showing support for their fave football teams to an outpour of love and support for Kylie. This was definitely a great publicity stunt on behalf of her managing team!

Support from family and friends

After Kylie’s initial post, her friends and family began posting their own congrats. Her sister Khloe posted a pic of the two with their baby bumps, saying how it was God’s plan for them to be “bumping along” together. Her close friend Jordyn Woods also posted a picture of them at Kylie’s baby shower expressing her excitement and showing how proud she was for her “Wifey 4L.”

The video

While being widely criticized for not sharing her pregnancy with the world while it was happening, the “Keeping up with the Kardashians” star did post a video titled “To Our Daughter” along with the text reveal. Even though Kylie did keep it a secret, when she was ready, she took us with her on a recap of her experience. The video not only gave us insight to her journey the past few months but also showed us the great support she had from friends and family. You could tell that Kylie was genuinely happy with the way things turned out.  

We forget she’s human

When it comes to people who are in the public eye, we tend to forget that they too are not celebrities 24/7. While the Kardashian-Jenners are among the first reality TV stars to show us practically every moment in their lives, Kylie chose for this particular experience and part of her pregnancy journey to be private – and I think we need to respect that. Everyone deserves their privacy, and I give her props for choosing and accomplishing to keep this private. 

The name

If there’s anything we are all waiting to find out, it’s what will the baby be named! Her family has quite the style when it comes to naming their children, so who knows what she will be called. Kylie reportedly has her name already picked out, but has yet to reveal it. The Twitter-sphere was buzzing with speculations: Will she be named after a lip kit? Will it start with a K? Will Travis announce it through a song? I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Congratulations Kylie on this incredible moment in your life; we wish you nothing but the best!

Alexis Howard is a first-year telecommunication student at the University of Florida. Ever since she can remember, she’s had a passion for communication and telling stories. She began her career in broadcast journalism back in high school and continues to pursue this passion at the collegiate level. Aside from being a features writer for Her Campus UFL, she is currently a writer/reporter for WUFT Noticias and is also involved with the Hispanic Student Association as part of their Hispanic-Latinx Student Assembly’s marketing team. She is also part of the office staff for the Florida Scholastic Press Association. Alexis is very passionate about writing, storytelling and bringing light to issues underrepresented in current media.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.