mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kim Kardashian’s About to be The Next Elle Woods, & I’m Here for It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

What’s Kim Kardashian’s talent? Well, criminal law might be added to the list — along with being a business mogul, entrepreneur and reality show star, of course). In a recent Vogue cover story, Kardashian revealed her goal of passing the bar exam in 2022. It’s no secret that Kardashian has always been interested in law. I mean, her dad was the famous defense attorney in the O.J. Simpson case, after all. Criminal law practically runs in the Kardashian blood. So, really, this news shouldn’t be shocking at all.

Aside from her obsession with tv-crime shows, Kardashian started to show sprinkles of interest in criminal law in 2018 when she started advocating for clemency for non-violent drug crimes. After discovering the twitter story of Alice Marie Johnson, who has been incarcerated since 1996 for a non-violent drug offense, Kardashian took action and managed to meet with President Donald Trump. While meeting with the president and other topnotch lawyers, Kardashian realized how much more she could do if she was more informed.

“I just felt like the system could be so different, and I wanted to fight to fix it, and if I knew more, I could do more,” said Kardashian.

This isn’t just another thing to add to her resume; Kardashian wants to help others and make a difference.

In order to do so, Kardashian’s being mentored by lawyers Jessica Jackson and Erin Haney. California is one of four states that allow people to take the bar without going to college. So, Kardashian will be “reading the law” with her mentors. Part of her studies include a mandatory eighteen hours of study each week, with regular exams. Sure, she’s not going the traditional route. But, so what? Why are people mad that Kim’s using her wealth and privilege to help others?

Like with anything the Kardashians do, the media was split. Many people questioned if Kim Kardashian is intelligent enough to become a lawyer. Some even went as far as to say that it’s an insult to law students.

Others complained that Kardashian should suffer through law school like everyone else.

In response to the haters, Kardashian took to Instagram. On April 15th, Kardashian posted a picture of her studying with Jackson and Haney.

In the caption she wrote: “I want people to understand that there is nothing that should limit your pursuit of your dreams, and the accomplishment of new goals. You can create your own lanes, just as I am. The state bar doesn’t care who you are.”

Yes, Kardashian definitely has more resources, connections and wealth than most law students (or just anyone), but can you really be mad at her for using her privilege to help those marginalized? Are you really going to complain that she’s trying to better the broken justice system? This isn’t another way for her to profit; she already has way more money than she needs. We’re talking about bettering the lives of mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers who don’t have the resources or the voice to fight for themselves. We’re talking about giving those locked up for unnecessarily long times, for nonviolent offenses, a second chance at life. Because that’s all Kardashian is trying to do: recreate her own life in order to recreate the lives of others for the better.

Why shouldn’t she gain an education? Why shouldn’t she go for her lifelong dream? She doesn’t have to stick to beauty and fashion. There’s no shame in a life-change. She’s reinventing herself for the better and she has every right to do so.

For those saying that Kim isn’t smart enough to become a lawyer, you’re overlooking a lot of details, my friend. The Kardashians may not be entirely self-made but look at all of the enterprises they’ve created. Kardashian has created or taken part in the creation of ShoeDazzle, DASH, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood the game, KKW Beauty and so much more. You have to have some braincells to start all that. Even before she was famous, Kardashian was a businesswoman, organizing closets of famous clientele. Don’t even argue with me about the sex-tape. Yes, it happened. But how many people can profit that much from a sex-tape? You have to give the Kardashian’s some credit.

Kim Kardashian is breaking boundaries and stripping away her mold. She’s not limiting herself and she’s making a career change in her middle age – something most are too terrified to even attempt. Don’t bash Kim Kardashian. If anything, I think we can really learn from her.

This summer, Kardashian will take an administered “baby bar” exam. If she passes, Kardashian will have permission to continue three years of studying. From the sound of her scores so far, I’d say her chances are pretty high. Keep on studying, Kim. You’re doing great sweetie!

Lauren Rousseau is a senior editor for Her Campus UFL. She's also a junior journalism major at the University of Florida, and her writing has appeared in Rowdy Magazine, WUFT News and the Independent Florida Alligator. When Lauren's not starring at a phone or laptop screen, she enjoys starring at her screen even more by watching ridiculous reality television. When all else prevails, catch her baking and listening to music.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.