Keeping Summer Alive (Even After Your Tan Fades)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Even though we hate to admit it, our three months of waking up late, lounging on the beach and losing track of what day it is are slowly fading – and keeping your calendar turned to July won’t prolong the inevitable. But don’t dust the sand off your flip-flops and abandon your summer mentality just yet. We’ve thought of a few ways to make summer stick around just a little bit longer.

Don’t wait until you’re swamped with deadlines to wish you were getting more sleep. A little more R&R will go a long way, whether it’s going to sleep an hour earlier, taking a Hatha Yoga class or sprawling on a couch in Pugh Hall with a magazine.  While it might not be in a hammock or beach chair, taking a 30-minute power nap between classes will help swap your stress for a more relaxed summer vibe.

While your schedule will fill up quickly, remember: there’s always time to be spontaneous. The freedom to call up friends and make last-minute plans doesn’t have to be limited to the weekends. Get a group together for a late-night ice cream run, try out a new restaurant with your roommate or have a study session with your door open and invite whoever walks by. You didn’t spend your summer indoors – why lock yourself away this semester?

Get outdoors and do something. It doesn’t necessarily have to be exercise; leave Library West and try studying on the Plaza of the Americas for a change, or spend the afternoon throwing a Frisbee around at Lake Wauberg. Take a weekend vacation with TriP (UF’s Travel and Recreation Program) and go on a new adventure. At the very least, take a walk across campus to visit a friend’s dorm – you’ll be glad you didn’t spend all your free time in your room watching TV (don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of time to catch up on your favorite shows this fall!).

Most importantly, make the most of your time. Sure, the phrase is tried and true, but summer always seems to go by so quickly. Try new things and take plenty of pictures. Go to that event or party you heard about (even if you won’t know anybody). Take a study break and enjoy the afternoon. Summer is slipping away quickly, don’t let your opportunities do the same.