This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I’ve been using the same tried-and-true mascara for two years. My stick-straight eyelashes hate staying curled, and I love having the darkest black formula that you can find. I’ve tried all different kinds of mascaras from volumizing, lengthening, waterproof, non-waterproof and everything in between. My all-time favorite is the Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara and I have been hesitant to test anything new. But when I heard about tubing mascara—an allegedly smudge-free, easy to take off, sweat-resistant product—I had to give it a shot.

Before purchasing a tube, I did some digging about what tubing mascara really is and what the best ones to buy are. “Tubing mascaras are made with a polymer that creates tubes around each lash,” according to Marylyne Ghati, a clean beauty blogger and chemist. By tubing each one of your eyelashes, it ensures you get an even coating that creates silky, smudge-free lashes. The idea is that the mascara can only be removed with warm water and when it is removed it comes off in little tube-like flakes. 

Thrive Causemetics is one of the original tubing mascaras and the brand prides themselves on their mission to create clean and effective beauty products. Their Liquid Lash™ Extensions Mascara won the best tubing mascara in Allure’s 2020 Best of Beauty. Needless to say I was sold. Thrive’s formula is supposed to be dark, dark black with beautiful lash extension-like results and extreme lengthening. I coughed up $20 to buy it and was ready to test.

Close up picture of eyeball showing mascara
Original photo by Riley Weymer

Above is a photo of my eyelashes with their usual lash routine: a good curl then heavy on the Lash Sensational mascara. One of the reasons I love the Lash Sensational is because the waterproof formula does a great job of holding my curl throughout the day. I was curious to see how the Liquid Lash™ mascara would hold up in comparison. 

When I opened the tubing mascara, my initials thoughts were that I loved how slick and simple it looks but also that I wasn’t sure how much volume I would get out of the tiny spoolie. I did the same curling technique that I normally do then went in with the mascara. Its formula is very black (yay!) and applies butter smooth. 

However, my main concern was that it just was not holding my curl. Over the course of a few days, I attempted to apply it a few different ways to maximize the curl. I tried focusing on the root of the lash, focusing on the tips of the lash, applying it evenly throughout, and doing a coat of the Lash Sensational with a coat of Liquid Lash™ on top. The best curling came from having the Lash Sensational as a base layer. Unfortunately, Thrive Causemetics’ mascara was no match for my straight eyelashes and it’s probably not going to work for you if you like long curled lashes like I do. 

Close up of eyeball showing mascara
Original photo by Riley Weymer

Despite its issues with holding the curl, it did an excellent job of not smudging throughout the day. I’m typically prone to some smudging under my lower lash line and occasionally onto my top lids, and after a full day with the tubing mascara, I had no smudging or flaking. That was a big win.

The process of removing it was also significantly easier than my usual mascara. I wet my fingertips with some water then rubbed it all off, and it did exactly what it was supposed to. All of it came off with minimal raccoon eyes and it didn’t feel like I had to pull very hard to get it off. After its removal, my lashes felt like they were conditioned and not at all damaged.

All in all, I can’t say I’m the biggest advocator for tubing mascaras. I loved the smudge-free look but not holding a curl is a mascara dealbreaker. This is definitely ideal for those of you who don’t wear mascara often or who have naturally curly lashes. It’s safe to say me and my stick straight lashes will be reuniting with our trusty Lash Sensational.

Riley is a second-year advertising major. She is passionate about entrepreneurship and the world of business, as well as public speaking. In her free time, she can be found at the local race track, volunteering at her church, and watching horror movies.