Style

Iconic 1950s Looks We Can Learn From

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With icons such as Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe, all the way to Jacqueline Kennedy the 1950s was an era that revolutionized makeup, hair, fashion, and beauty. In this article, we will dive into the pieces and aspects that shaped this decade into the elegant and unforgettable period it was for beauty.

One fashion staple of the ‘50s were circle dresses, better known as swing dresses.

The dresses were tea length, which means the dress ends somewhere in the middle of your knees and feet.

Although now we see this length as classy and elegant, at the time it was much sexier and flirty than what women were used to wearing.

In 1947, Christian Dior launched the “New Look” collection, which added padding to the busts of the dress to help create and extenuate a smaller waist.

Thin belts were also a staple to wear with the dress to further showcase a woman’s waist.

Underneath the skirt of the dress, there was often a petticoat which creates the fullness that makes this style of dress so recognizable and lovable.

Most women at the time were housewives, but no matter if they were tidying up the house, running errands or out and about with their husbands, the swing dress was a go-to.

There were countless colors, prints and little details added to the dress, such as pockets or buttons that made it possible for any woman to find exactly what she wanted.

When I think of the classic ‘50s aesthetic, one of the first things that comes to mind is the pictures of women on the beach in their stunning swimsuits.

The ‘50s was the last decade to embrace and promote modesty while still being able to achieve a fun and sexy look.

Although the design of swimsuits back then did not  showcase a lot of cleavage, they were still made with built-in cups to add nice shape and a bit of lift.

A popular trend for swimsuits at the time was to have a lot of ruching to further the illusion of having an hourglass body shape.

The ‘50s also began popularizing the two-piece bathing suits. However, they weren’t like the bikinis we see today.

They were almost always high rise, having the bottoms come up higher than the bellybutton. The only exposing of skin was a few inches between the top and bottom pieces of the bikini.

The 1950s created some of the most iconic makeup trends that we still use today, such as bold lips, structured eyebrows and adding a stunning wing to your everyday eyeliner.

The thickness of your eyebrows didn’t matter as much as the shape.

The expectation at the time was to have a strong arch in your eyebrow that you would fill in with hair-like strokes and then darken with an eyebrow pencil.

Eyeshadow wasn’t a big part of one’s makeup routine back then.

If anything, a light brown would be added for dimension into the crease.

The most focus of attention on the eyes would be on winged eyeliner. A black, winged eyeliner gave a lift to the eyes while adding drama and fun.

Lastly, a bold red lip tied any look together.

There wasn’t one legendary hairstyle that represents the ‘50s but short, curly hair was definitely the trend.

Most women always had their hair tightly curled and out of their face, whether that be all the way up, in a headband, or put back with pins.

Not only did these styles get the hair out of their face it also allowed for women to show off their beautiful earrings — one reason these styles were so popular.

The ‘50s was one decade that made its mark in time not only through its historical events but in the world of beauty.

This decade offers so much character and fun; it’s hard not to become obsessed with its aesthetic.

The ‘50s are so nostalgic and very interesting to look back on, and a large part of that is for its beauty.

Many trends at the time were so astonishing they inspire the way we dress and style ourselves today.

Whether you see someone dressed in ‘50s attire in head to toe on Halloween or see a stunning red lip that gives you the classic Marilyn Monroe vibe, the ‘50s continue to influence so many aspects of beauty due to its pure class, elegance, and timelessness.

Journalism major at the University of Florida.