katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Only Used Cash For A Week, & Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After not using my credit card for a week, I started to become aware of how much I actually use it and how much money I actually spend. I truly went cold turkey from using a credit card. I didn’t use Venmo, I didn’t use Uber, and I didn’t online-shop for a whole week. Crazy, right? I truly felt like I was going off-the-grid. But I did feel pretty badass carrying around a wad of cash with me.

The Cons

Carrying cash while going out on a Saturday night was a great way to easily pay cover for bars, but too thick to carry in my phone or pocket. Not using Uber on a Saturday night felt strange to me. I had to rely on the kindness of friends to drive me around. Then I had to rely on my legs to make sure I could walk home wearing the most painful shoes in the name of “fashion.”  I had a friend to walk home with but it really made me aware of how Uber is much safer than walking. But then again, I got to have a great chat with a friend, get some exercise and save some money. Another struggle was to resist the urge to buy some cute shirts online. It’s so easy to be logged into Amazon Prime and just click a button to buy a shirt that will arrive in two days.

The Pros

By living credit card free, I actually saved more money than I would have in an average week. I could physically see how much money I was using. This made me really pay attention to how much I was handing over to others. Only having cash stopped me from online shopping. Only having cash stopped me for buying useless things at Target because I didn’t want to be the slow person in the checkout line. The best part about having cash was putting it in other purses and forgetting about it. It is the best feeling in the world to find a twenty dollar bill at the bottom of your purse. That is what pure joy feels like.

I now appreciate credit cards and should not complain on how slow the chip takes because counting dollar bills and doing math is slower. However, there is nothing greater than looking into your wallet and seeing multiple twenties. Having cash did keep me more accountable for how much I was spending, but I’m happy to be able to use a credit card again.

Kelvy is a third year at the University of Florida double majoring in Theatre and Telecommunication Production. After graduation, she hopes to work in the entertainment industry. She loves movies and TV shows, but most importantly I love all things Disney!
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.