I’m A Little Obsessed With the True Crime Genre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I think it’s pretty normal to have a fascination with the unknown, especially when it comes to unsolved mysteries. When I was a kid, I was the one who would stay home on a Friday night to watch the latest episode of the crime comedy Monk. I’ve definitely always was interest in the crime genre. After listening to my favorite podcast, My Favorite Murder, I haven’t been able to stop my true crime fascination.

More Podcasts

So I’ve mentioned different true crime podcasts before, but I’ve discovered more! I recently finished Serial. For most people that was actually their first podcast and for me it was more around my fourth. Serial is basically the podcast version of Making a Murderer. It describes how flawed our justice system is and how we should always look at the whole picture in a case. I also finished the first season of Someone Knows Something, which details what happened after the disappearance of a little boy forty five years later. It started off with cliffhangers after every episode, which I loved, but never gave a resolution. Another podcast I just started is Lore. Lore details old mysteries that you may have missed interesting details from. It’s a short listen and perfect for a walk to class. If you ever catch me listening to music as I walk to class, just know, it’s not music.

A summer of true crime

This past summer I had way too much free time. I actively watched Forensic Files. Another summer series I watched was The Keepers. It has a very similar style to Making a Murderer. The Keepers details the account of a nun that goes missing and the crime covered up by the church. Very interesting and very creepy. I learned about so many different cases over the summer and told my parents all of the different stories I heard. They eventually got annoyed with me and told me to switch my major. Maybe in another life I’ll get a degree in criminology. With all my crime knowledge, I mean I’m basically already a detective.

What to expect for the future of true crime

The actor I’ve had a crush on since I was nine is now going to play one of my “favorite” serial killers. The upcoming movie Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile will star Zac Efron as Ted Bundy. Even though Zac Efron is the lead, the perspective of the film is through the eyes of Bundy’s girlfriend Elizabeth Kloepher, played by Lily Collins. Elizabeth Kloepher refused to believe the truth about Bundy for years. I’m very interested to see where they will end up filming. Bundy notoriously killed sorority girls at Florida State University, and I wonder if any of the film will be shot on FSU’s campus. In high school, I wrote a whole paper on Ted Bundy for my psychology class. Since I know so much about him, I’ve very interested to see how Zac Efron will portray him. The film doesn’t have a release date yet, but it should come out within 2018.

I’m not the only out there who listens and watches true crime. There is a whole Facebook group for “Murderinos” who love discus crime. I obviously have too much free time if I can listen and watch all of my shows. Honestly though, listening to a podcast on the way to class motivates me to actually go to class. Find a podcast that gets you to class!

Kelvy is a third year at the University of Florida double majoring in Theatre and Telecommunication Production. After graduation, she hopes to work in the entertainment industry. She loves movies and TV shows, but most importantly I love all things Disney!