This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I thought I had straight hair. I would get out of the shower, comb out my hair, then be shocked when my hair looked frizzy hours later. I would get so frustrated with my hair. I tortured my hair by religiously applying heat to it, only resulting in more frizz than before. It wasn’t until one night, about six months ago, I realized that my hair type may not be as straight as I once thought. I saw a TikTok with a girl showing her hair right out of the shower and I thought to myself: Wow, that looks just like my hair! She showed the camera products and techniques that she used out of the shower to enhance her curls. After following these steps, I came to the realization that I did not have straight hair… In fact, it was a lot more curly than I gave it credit for. So, how do you embrace your natural curls? 

1. Finding your hair type

Generally, there are four ranges of hair types: straight (1), wavy (2), curly (3) and kinky (4). Within wavy, curly, and kinky, there are three categories: A, B and C. The best way to determine your hair type is to shower and refrain from brushing it out after. Let your hair air dry and see the results. For more information on the specificity of hair types, you can look at this guide designed by trichologists. For this article, we will be focusing on wavier hair types (Type 2A, 2B, 2C). 

2. Hair scrunching

You’ve got a general idea of your hair type—great! What now? After getting out of the shower, reach for a soft t-shirt or microfiber towel. Using a T-shirt or microfiber towel protects your hair, absorbing less water than a standard towel. This allows your hair to hold more hydration. Using the t-shirt or towel, begin scrunching your wet hair. To do this, work section by section, from the ends to the root. Do this until decent waves appear in your hair. 

3. Leave-in conditioner 

Once you did your first round of scrunching, you can go in with a leave-in conditioner or detangler. For less dense hair, I would suggest a spray leave-in conditioner or detangler. This will help to not weigh down your hair. My favorite leave-in conditioner is the Vernon Francois Leave-In Conditioner, which receives rave reviews. My favorite leave-in detangler is the Sojourn Leave-In Detangler, known for its hydrating properties. For a cheaper alternative, I would suggest the Shea Moisture Leave-In Treatment, sitting at the affordable price of $9. To use these products, spray generously around your hair. Then, scrunch again! 

4. Mousse 

For some, leave-in conditioner or detangler is enough to enhance their curls without weighing their hair down. However, for more definition and style, I would suggest applying a mousse. Mousses are surprisingly easy to find and often affordable. A lightweight (and affordable) option is the Herbal Essences Curl Boosting Mousse, which retails for only $6. My personal favorite, however, is the Aquage Uplifting Foam, which has reduced a ton of frizziness in my hair while holding my waves all day. Apply an equal amount of product to each side of your hair and scrunch for the last time, letting your hair absorb the product! 

5. Plopping

You’re almost done! Plopping your hair is a great way to help your hair absorb moisture and the products you just scrunched into your hair. To do this, lay out the T-shirt or microfiber towel on a counter or chair. Then flip your hair, laying it out on the T-shirt or towel so it lays in the center of the towel or T-shirt. Take the excess fabric of the towel or shirt and tie it in a knot behind your head. For a more comprehensive tutorial, check out this video

6. Let it sit

To properly let your hair absorb moisture, make sure to let it plop for at least 15 to 20 minutes. After this, feel free to let it air-dry or even diffuse if you have curlier hair. Once your hair dries: Behold, beautiful, wavy hair! 

Next time that you go to straighten your hair, hold off on the heat! It’s totally possible to have wavy hair without the frizz. 

Jane R

UFL '23