This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In 2018, we’ve seen new fashion trends come and go. One of my favorite trends this year is chunky sneakers. While chunky sneakers have been around for a while (we’re looking at you, Dad), it seems that they are actually fashion forward nowadays. Don’t just take my word for it; Vogue has even highlighted this trend.

It can seem overwhelming to jump right into this fashion movement. That’s why I’ve highlighted different ways you can try out this trend with a new (or old) pair of chunky sneaks.

Sporty casual

I’m all for the athleisure trend. Did I just go to the gym? Maybe. Did I actually go to Target for two hours? Definitely.

Chunky sneakers can be incorporated into your day-to-day athleisure look. This is probably the easiest way to get comfortable in rocking chunky sneakers because of how seamlessly they go with your “workout” clothes. Throw on your favorite pair of leggings, a flowy top, and add some chunky sneakers. While I don’t recommend trying to work out in these overzealous sneaks, you can look sporty on your way to class!

Paired with simple dresses

If you are a little more bold, you can incorporate chunky sneakers with more feminine pieces. Simple dresses and denim skirts are easy to pair with statement shoes. I actually bought a pair of Fila sneakers because of all the ways I saw the shoes worn. This is really popular among street-style influencers and one of the easiest ways to up your style game. Scrolling through the Instagram explore page is a great place to start if you need a little fashion inspiration.

Make a statement

If you are ready to dive into the chunky sneakers trend, there are plenty of fun and over-the-top sneakers to choose from. Nike was actually one of the first brands to start this trend with the relaunch of their classic AirMax 90 sneakers. These bright and extra-chunky sneakers are attention-grabbing and the perfect sneaker to show off the trend. You can dress these up or down, leaving a lot of room for personality to shine through. The ‘90s are back, and we’re not mad about it!

Comfy is cool

If you aren’t sure where to start with your chunky sneakers, you can definitely opt for a more casual look. Your chunky shoes should serve as the statement of your outfit. You can pair them with some jeans, a comfy t-shirt and throw on a jacket for the colder temperatures. This is a more understated look but definitely works for those who aren’t quite ready to pair chunky sneakers with their more daring pieces.

Related: Behind the Fashion Revival of ‘Dad Style’

All in all, chunky sneakers can be incorporated into your wardrobe in a lot of different ways. I would highly recommend investing in this trend. It’s comfy, and you get the benefit of standing tall without having to wear wedges all the time.

Hi I'm Bailey! I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking 20 something year old college student. I love the Florida Gators, the color navy, and carbs. Follow along while I try to balance school and my love of fashion!