How to Prepare for Your 21st Sign Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s the day you’ve been waiting for ever since you discovered what a sign night was. You’re finally 21 — yay! And now you want to celebrate it all night long with your closest friends. Your girls have created your sign and you’re dying to find out what it looks like. Everyone’s posting embarrassing pictures of you all over your sign night Facebook page and you’re ready to go. I had my sign night last month, and I’ll just say that it was a night to go down in history. Here are some tips for all my fellow collegiettes to help you prepare for and enjoy you sign night to the fullest.

Drink water all dayIf you want any hope of remembering your sign night and not passing out or getting sick beforehand, then you need to make sure you’re continuously drinking water the day of. This will keep your body hydrated before you go to Midtown or downtown to explore the promised land with your now-legal ID.

Carb it upThis is a tip that goes along with the one stated above. Make sure you eat a carb-loaded lunch and dinner because this night will surpass any night of drinking that you have ever experienced before. The difference in your sign night is that it is all about you! Your friends are going to buy you drinks and they’re definitely going to make sure that you drink everything they buy you. That being said, they know that it’s your night and they need to take care of you, so they’re definitely going to be much more sober than you so they can give you the experience of a lifetime.  

Choose a cute dress/romperLet’s face it. You are going to be in a million pictures on your sign night, not to mention Snapchats. If you’re a little bit of a mess, at least your outfit should look cute! Pick something that’s a solid color rather than printed because you want your sign to be the center of attention. Make sure you choose something that you can wear if you do decide to feature your dance moves on some elevated surfaces. You don’t want to be flashing the world your favorite Victoria’s Secret thong.

Pick comfortable shoes“The higher the heels, the closer to God.” This is a quote that I know and love, as I was only blessed with 5 feet and 3 inches of height. Go for the platform heels or wedges, but make sure you can walk in them with no issues whatsoever. You definitely don’t want to be falling down in front of everybody or getting blisters while you’re running all around town trying to see and do everything in just one night! Break new shoes in weeks beforehand if you really want to wear them.

Pack a wristletMake sure that you have everything and anything you could need on this night. Your sign night is a once-in-a-lifetime night, so you definitely don’t want to forget anything. Credit cards, keys and cash should all be a given, but you’ll also want to bring a compact mirror and lipstick so you can touch up for pictures throughout the night. Band-Aids are also a good idea in case you develop blisters.

Have a plan for the end of the nightIt’s important for you and your friends to figure out a plan for the end of the night. Will they be taking you out for a late-night dinner? Oh hey, Steak ‘n Shake! Will you be crashing at your sorority house, your friend’s house or your own house? It’s important for you to have a game plan so your friends know where you’ll want to be waking up the next morning.

If you follow these tips, I guarantee that you’ll have a night that you’ll never forget… well, the parts that you do still remember. Get excited, get glammed up and get out there and enjoy your night. Welcome to the 21 club, collegiettes!

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.