thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

How Going Ghost on Social Media Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Social media, at one point in my life, consumed everything. Every waking moment, I was scrolling, tweeting, posting, pinning. You name it, I saw it. I was up to date on all the trends, all the drama, and just about everything. While this felt great for a while, I began realizing that I was using social media in ways that were harmful to myself. I became obsessed with comparing my life to everyone and everything. I valued what everyone else thought about my photos more than the photos themselves. It seemed like every event and outing I attended was simply an opportunity to post.

Then I discovered the act of ghosting the internet.

“Ghosting” is the act of abruptly limiting or cutting off communication and activity on a platform. It’s called ghosting, because it’s like “vanishing” into thin air like an online ghost.

I haven’t posted on my social media platforms in quite some time now. This hiatus from the internet taught me a lot of valuable lessons about communication and the world around me. It allowed me to appreciate not only the experiences I had but also the fact that I have great online social media resources that allow me to connect to people in such intimate and unique ways. I found beauty in stepping away, and it showed me the world in a new light. This is my experience.

When I really stepped back for a moment, I couldn’t help but think of how beautiful the potential of the world was. Every moment was larger than the photograph I once obsessed over capturing. I felt myself romanticizing every moment despite the aesthetics or the chaos that I knew existed just out of frame. I realized I didn’t feel the pressures of how I looked for the camera anymore. Instead, I simply wanted to look good for myself. That feeling became far more empowering than obsessively counting the amount of likes I would receive, cashing them in for my sense of validation. In that moment, I realized my time away from the internet paid off and gave me the fresh perspective I was looking for.

So, if you’re looking for a sign to step back for a bit: This is it. I promise it’s worth it.

The internet can be a large and intimidating place. However, it doesn’t always have to be. We as the users hold the power to make it what we want!

One of the hardest things I encountered when starting this journey was simply figuring out where to begin. Here, I have compiled a guide of tips that helped me.

1. It Won’t Happen Overnight

It can be extremely difficult to quit social media all at once. Personally, it didn’t seem realistic to just force myself to disappear completely. I felt myself start to drift off platforms gradually. While I was still a viewer of content, I found posting eventually becoming less of a priority in my everyday life. My advice is to start small! Challenge yourself to limited internet time or perhaps to only post on one platform more frequently than others. It eventually becomes natural.

2. Social Media Isn’t An Enemy

It can be an extremely helpful tool for so many things! We have access to a platform that allows us to communicate and share more now than ever, and that’s something to be proud to be a part of. I realized I needed to step back when I found myself comparing everything in my life to those I saw online. I was constantly asking myself what I was doing wrong. The reality is I wasn’t doing anything wrong. I needed to take time away to build my own confidence and find comfort in all aspects of myself. I needed to step away to appreciate the resources online that I did have access to. I needed to learn how to befriend social media.

3. Find Peace In FOMO

This was probably the hardest thing I experienced after stepping away from social media. FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is totally a real and valid feeling to have. It really started to feel like an addiction when I was just itching to update my status. How else were people supposed to know that I was hanging out with someone or eating something aesthetic or doing anything other than laying in my bed all day? Honestly, they probably won’t and that’s okay. Your experiences are exactly that: yours. They’re meant for your enjoyment, and that’s all that matters. Take the time to send a text to your friends about your day or the exciting things you did. It’s quite personal and could ultimately build much stronger connections with those you care about! 

4. Continue To Appreciate

Overall, this experience taught me that the world is far bigger than what I choose to show the internet. I took in more moments, more memories, and more feelings from simply putting down my phone. I prioritized the situation I was in over things like how to best capture the lighting. The world outside of social media can still be beautiful without the rose-colored filters. When you do decide to log back in, appreciate it! Take in the complexities of it, and use it to your advantage! Again, it can be wonderful if we allow it to be.

Be proud of who you are and the moments you have. Love them enough to experience them to the fullest with or without social media. You owe it to yourself!

Madison is a student at The University of Florida majoring in Mass Media Production with a minor in Graphic Design. Madison is a positive individual who loves astrology, Harry Styles, and any kind of iced coffee. When she isn't writing, you can find her shopping for plants, playing Mariokart with her friends, and perfecting her strategies for making the perfect avocado toast.