How to Get in the Holiday Spirit in Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It can be very difficult to get into the holiday spirit living in sunny Florida. There’s just something about the hot weather and lack of snow that screams summer all year round. However, there are many other ways for Floridians to get in the holiday mood. Here are several fun activities to get you decking the halls and rocking around the Christmas tree.

1. Ice skatingThis fan-favorite activity is the perfect simulation of a northern winter. The cold temperatures give fashonistas the perfect excuse to pull out all their fabulous cold weather gear. Although downtown Gainesville doesn’t have their seasonal rink anymore, many hometowns across Florida do, which is perfect for the upcoming winter break.

2. House lightsDriving around to see the holiday lights and yard decorations can be a fun activity with friends or a romantic date with that special someone. Residents in Alachua County definitely don’t disappoint when it comes to their light displays. Here is an interactive map made by the Gainesville Sun that shows some of the best houses to see. Load up the car, get some peppermint mochas, and see some of the best lights around.

3. Sand is Florida’s snowAlthough we don’t have snow, we sure do have lots of sand. Head out to the beach and make mock snow angels with your friends! I know some of my family’s best winter memories are taking pictures in red and green outfits on the beach. Another fun beach activity that many surf communities participate in is a Santa Clause surf competition. They’re fun to compete in and even funnier to watch.

4. Ugly sweater partyThis is a college student favorite. Whether you decide to host or simply attend a party, it’s always fun to see a room full of people competing to have the ugliest holiday outfit. Some people choose to buy them online, but it can be twice as fun to make your own. If partying is not your style, there are other opportunities to wear ugly sweaters, such as the tacky sweater 5K race at the UF commuter lot on Dec. 6.

5. Holiday bakingA big part of the holiday season is the delicious sweets associated with it. From decorating cookies to baking brownies, the possibilities are endless. So invite some gal pals over, crank up those holiday tunes, and have a ball decorating treats!

Even though we don’t live in the storybook winter wonderland, it doesn’t mean that Floridians can’t get into the holiday spirit. Creative solutions and activities are the perfect way to compensate for the snow we are missing. Happy holidays, collegiettes!