How Films Are Influencing Today’s Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Fashion and film have always been intertwined. Fashion on the red carpet is continuously a hot topic, actors are usually seen in campaigns and walking down the runways and of course, there’s the fashion that actually appears in films. So, it’s not really shocking to hear designers are inspired by Hollywood, and vice versa.

Coincidentally enough, the Roaring ’20s were paraded down more than a few catwalks during the spring 2012 shows in September and fall 2012 collections in February, proving that the inspirational era was not just an isolated incident. But did the period pieces like The Great Gatsby inspire this turn towards the flapper, or would designers have found themselves inspired by the decade anyway?

The jazz age isn’t the only recent evidence of this relationship. Films such as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and My Week With Marilyn seem to also have an influence on collections seen in the spring runways.

The Great Gatsby: The Undying Era

The pastels, ostrich plumes and drop waists from the 1920s marching down the spring 2012 runways reminded anyone who keeps up with Hollywood of the much-hyped adaptation of book list favorite, The Great Gatsby. The pale colors and decadence not only makes for lovely runway fodder, but it is also such an easy trend to apply in real life. Additionally, it went well with the general girly feel of spring 2012. Though we won’t be able to see the film starring Leonardo DiCarprio, Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire until late this year, we can continue to enjoy the 20s vibe from looks that are certain to appear on the red carpets.

My Week With Marilyn: The Overused Icon in Fashion That Never Gets Tiring

Marilyn Monroe may be amongst the most overused icons in fashion, but doesn’t seem to deter anyone from continuing to use her imagery when in need of a little bit of glamour. She continues to be a source of endless inspiration for designers—and that’s unlikely to ever change. Marilyn may not have had as strong on the runways during the spring shows, but she has certainly shown up in spades elsewhere. Many incarnations of the icon (played by Michelle Williams) have graced the pages and coves of magazines on an endless loop.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: The Unexpected Style Icon

We’re almost sure author Stieg Larsson didn’t expect his heroine, Lisbeth Salander, to become a style icon. But ever since actress Rooney Mara, who plays Salander, appeared on the cover of W magazine, a few collections featured a dark, monotone color palette with a penchant for leather, especially Versace’s fall 2012 collection. Even Mara herself has been so deliberately styled to emulate Lisbeth, making hard to determine where the actress begins and the character ends. Two more movies are to be released in the series, and as a result we anticipate the influence from this film to continue.

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥