How to Branch Out in College as an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I transferred to the University of Florida last semester. I came from a small community college where everyone knew each other. Here at UF, there are over 52 thousand students, and it can seem overwhelming; especially when you know absolutely no one. It takes time to get accustomed to any new setting, but it can be even harder when you’re a self-proclaimed introvert. Small talk can seem cumbersome, being called on in class is literally the worst and having time to myself is my favorite thing. Networking and enjoying college to the fullest means branching out of your comfort zone, so here are some tips if you, too, are an introvert.

1. Introduce Yourself

This first step is the most fearful, but also the most important. Everyone you meet starts off as a stranger, so saying a simple ‘Hello’ can be the start of an amazing friendship. Even if it doesn’t go any further than a basic introduction story, the experience can be fun and can relieve some anxiety when you introduce yourself to the next person.

2. Rejection can happen, and that’s okay

Us humans are social creatures, but we also don’t make connections with every single person we meet. We can often feel hurt just by the fear of not being liked by everyone, which can stop us from wanting to make friends. As long as you went for it and tried, then you’ll notice that it just wasn’t meant to be.

3. Join a Social Group or Student Organization

Organizations bring people together who have at least one thing in common, which makes it easier to start a conversation. College has so many groups on campus that there is literally something for everyone. If you go to a meeting once, you’re most likely want to go again which increases your opportunity to surround yourself with great people.

4. Go to Events by Yourself

This is a bold move; it can be so easy to find that one person and then rely on them to attend every event with, that if they don’t want to go, you can feel like you’re stuck alone. One should still go even if someone else does not want to because you don’t want to miss out on something you might potentially enjoy just as a result of another person’s decision. Additionally, you’ll have the opportunity to meet even more people.

The best thing about college is finding like-minded people you can have riveting conversations with. It may seem scary to you, but stepping outside of your comfort zone and doing things that make you uncomfortable are important to branching out and learning more about yourself.

Photo Credits:

giphy.com

unsplash.com