Style > Beauty

How to Avoid All Nighters: Getting the Beauty Sleep You Deserve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Unless you’re the female version of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, you’ve probably found yourself staring at the clock at 3:30 a.m. on numerous occasions wishing you were snuggled under the covers instead of finishing your research paper.

Staying up all night may seem like a good idea at the time, but there are a lot of lasting side effects that can really affect you afterward. Obviously, first and foremost, you’re going to be tired the next day and the grades in classes that you have to attend the next day may suffer. Those late-night snacks you consume throughout the night to keep yourself going? You’ll be seeing those calories again in your hips and legs if you continue to stay up on a regular basis. Remaining awake all night can also disable your body from protecting itself from illnesses.

Unfortunately, most of us have been there, but there are ways to avoid these situations. With finals quickly approaching it is important to heed these few tips that will help you while you study in order to steer clear of those late nights and get the beauty sleep that you gorgeous collegiates deserve!

Don’t Procrastinate
Like most college students you probably don’t want to do much after having class all day, but starting your homework the day it’s assigned will save you from the torture of having to do it for eight hours straight the night before the assignments are due.

Get off Social Networking Sites
Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr may be the cool thing to do, but they can also be a major distraction. As hard as it is, you’re better off logging out on the computer and turning off the notifications on your phone to get your work done at a reasonable hour.

*Have your roommate or another trustworthy friend change your password for the night. It will force you to get your homework done. The quicker you get it finished, the quicker you can learn your new password and get back to liking the cutie down the hall’s profile picture.

Pay Attention in Class
Taking good notes and asking questions in class will ensure that you won’t have as many questions to email your professor last minute when you go to do the assignments later.

Take Breaks
Doing hours worth of homework will not only be tiring, but it can become very tedious, so taking a break will help keep your blood flowing! Watching a three-hour movie doesn’t count, but taking 20 minutes to check emails, go for a walk or take a quick powernap can help you avoid becoming agitated from focusing on one subject for too long.

Study Alone
Depending on how you study best, or if you’re stuck working on a group project, you may want to find a quiet and confined place like the library or a room of solitude to help you stay focused. When you study in a group, many times you just end up talking with one another instead of actually getting work accomplished.

Learn How to Manage Your Time
Now I know you’re probably way more into watching what goes down with Ron and Sam this week on Jersey Shore, but you may just have to TiVo it or watch the next day online.

Make a To-Do List
Planning all of your assignments and activities, etc., not only avoids forgetfulness but it also enables time management so that you can get everything that needs to be done finished on time, perhaps even early!

Save the Easy Stuff for Last
Doing tougher or more tedious assignments first may be a drag, but it gives you something to look forward to. For instance if you hate math but love English, you may want to get your math homework out of the way so that you can focus on something that you can finish quickly and that you enjoy later on.

Good Luck!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.