This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Houndstooth is a large checked pattern with notched corners suggestive of a canine tooth, typically used in cloth for jackets and suits. The design is known to be a classic choice for winter coats and a timeless pattern in general, and recently it has made a resurgence in the fashion world. Here are just a few ways on how to wear houndstooth just in time for this holiday season.

1. Wear it on a cozy jacket

Winter, at least in Florida, always seems to get “cold” for only two weeks out of the year. For those two weeks, you’ll want to showcase as much as the cute winter clothing you have before it gets unbearably hot again. Consider investing in a houndstooth coat that will be a versatile piece for years to come.

2. Wear it on a stylish dress

If you’re looking to make a statement, a houndstooth dress is the way to go. Pair a houndstooth dress with some neutral or dark-colored tights and a set of black boots to look like you stepped right off the pages of some fancy fashion magazine this holiday season. With this pattern, it doesn’t take a lot to look fashionable.

3. Accent it in a pair of cute shoes

Instead of wearing these fun checks on your shoulders, try wearing it on your feet. Houndstooth-patterned shoes are great to wear during the holidays with some black tights or black thigh-high stockings. If you just want to make an outfit look more polished, consider wearing these types of shoes with some cuffed jeans and a nice white blouse.

4. Dress it up in a classy skirt

If you don’t feel like wearing a houndstooth dress or coat, perhaps a similarly patterned skirt would be of interest to you. I really like this skirt from Ann Taylor (pictured above) because it’s both sophisticated and playful. Houndstooth fabric is usually reserved for thicker types of clothing, so this type of skirt will definitely keep you looking great and feeling warm in the wintertime.

5. Accessorize with it on a warm scarf

A safe item to buy if you want to start slowly integrating houndstooth into your closet is a patterned scarf. A monotone jacket or coat paired with this type of scarf is yet again another simple way to transform an otherwise plain winter outfit into something more fashionable. If it’s just the right temperature out, then you can even change the scarf into a makeshift shawl.

6. Flaunt it in a pair of pants

Want to look like a trendy business professional? Try investing in a pair of houndstooth pants. While they may not be your traditional black suit pants, they do make for a stylish alternative if you’re ever feeling up for the change.
Houndstooth can be a bold pattern for some to wear, but that doesn’t mean you have to dress head-to-toe in it. By accenting it in your outfit, whether it be in your skirt or your scarf, you’ll be on the path to looking like a trendy, classic gal this holiday season.

Photo Credits:

Venus

Kohl’s

ASOS

TBDress

Target

Ann Taylor

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.